Creve Coeur Lake racetrack late 1920s and early 1930s.

Astixjr

I’m looking for information and photographs regarding the Greater St Louis Speedway, later called Creve Coeur Speedway. The track was a former horse racing oval at Studt’s Park at Upper Creve Coeur Lake. The County Agricultural and a Mechanical Fair was held there for nearly three decades starting in the early 1880s. I had thought there had only been a few exhibition races there before WWI but Newspapers.com research has shown that in the late 1920s and into the early 1930s, automobile and motorcycle racing was a more or less regular event at the track. I’m looking for specifics about the drivers and cars. Specifically engine and chassis types, and other details. Our museum at Creve Coeur Airport has a spare project Wright-Martin built WWI Hispano-Suiza engine that might make a good replica racer engine if it is not suitable as a spare for any of our Hisso powered airplanes. Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts on this subject.

My thoughts.
Build or find a period correct race car and install you engine in it.
Display the replica and let the public come up with a story to go with your car.
There'll be some doosies!!! Stories, that is.
I didn't know that there is an air museum around the St. Louis area

THANX RICH

My thoughts.
Build or find a period correct race car and install you engine in it.
Display the replica and let the public come up with a story to go with your car.
There'll be some doosies!!! Stories, that is.
I didn't know that there is an air museum around the St. Louis area

THANX RICH
Outside of the aviation community I’m afraid we are not very well known. We have about 60 aircraft on display. Last year, due to the flooding in the area, we did not open until the fall. No water got into the display hangars but it was a close call. We hope to announce plans for a 5th display hangar this summer. At least we plan on starting the fund raising campaign.

Back