Darren Miller Wins WDRL Night One At Davenport

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Darren Miller proved to be ‘The Thriller’ as he grabbed the WORLD Dirt Racing League Polydome Late Model Series win at Davenport Speedway. Miller had to fend off heavy pressure from Chris Simpson for the win.

As the green flag came out to start the twenty-five-lap A-Main, Dave Eckrich would take a wild ride in turn two. Eckrich’s car ended up cart wheeling, and it came to a stop on top of the turn two wall. Eckrich was able to walk away, but he was taken to a nearby hospital for observation. Eckrich did return to the track by the end of the night after getting the thumbs up from the doctors.

When racing resumed, Eric Pember hustled his car to the point. Pember was on a mission to try and grab some much-needed points and close in on the point leader Justin Fegers, who started eighteenth. Pember would lead with Chris Simpson in tow.

As the lead duo battle in to turn three, Darren Miller moved to the high side and passed both to assume the lead. Pember and Simpson were left to battle for second.

Simpson would eventual clear Pember, and he began to chip away on the lead that Miller had opened up. Simpson narrowed the gap in the closing stages of the race, and he was making a move on the final lap, but the car lost power and came to a stop in turn four as the checkered flag came out.

“If we win this thing tonight, we’ll be lucky,” Darren Miller told the fans during the break to clean up after the Dave Eckrich’s crash.

“I guess we were lucky tonight,” Miller smiled from the AMSOIL Victory Lane. “We were able to pull away as Pember and Simpson battled for second. I didn’t hear Simpson closing in on me. I had my hands full because I lost my power steering at the beginning of the race. If this had been any longer than twenty-five laps, I don’t think we would have won tonight.”

Brian Birkhofer battle in the top five all night, and he was able to work around Pember in the closing laps to finish second. Pember finished third.

Ray Guss Jr. drove Brian Harris’ car to a fourth place finish. Harris was present at the track, and was greeted by a lot of well wishers who were glad to see him return to the track after the horrific crash suffered a few weeks ago at West Liberty, IA.

Denny Eckrich rounded out the top five. Points leader Justin Fegers finished tenth.

The finale night of racing on the 2007 WDRL Polydome Late Model Series will be Saturday night (October 6, 2007) back at the Davenport (IA) Speedway. Hot laps are set for 5:30.

RACE RECAP
DAVENPORT SPEEDWAY
DAVENPORT, IA
OCTOBER 5, 2007

BSB GROUP QUALIFYING: Top 10
Not Run tonight due to time constraints.

POLYDOME QUALIFIER 1:
1. Darren Miller, 2. Denny Eckrich, 3. Darin Duffy, 4. John Kaanta, 5. Matt Furman, 6. Justin Fegers, 7. Rob Moss, 8. Rob Toland, 9. Jeremiah Hurst, 10. Ace Ihm, 11. Jason Rauen, 12. Hal Russel.

POLYDOME QUALIFIER 2:
1. Ray Guss, 2. Brian Birkhofer, 3. Jason Utter, 4. Chad Simpson, 5. Andy Eckrich, 6. Dave Eckrich, 7. Cam Grainger, 8. Tim Lance, 9. Gary Webb, 10. Fred Remley, 11. Mike Fryer, 12. Bryan Kammer.

POLYDOME QUALIFIER 3:
1. Eric Pember, 2. Chris Simpson, 3. Tim Isneberg, 4. Jeremy Grady, 5. Andrew McKay, 6. Kurt Kile, 7. Mike Klinkammer, 8. Jill George, 9. Eric Gustaf, 10. Russ Adams, 11. Jimmy Mars.

IOWA ILLINOIS TAYLOR INSULATION POLE DASH:
1. Eric Pember, 2. Chris Simpson, 3. Darren Miller, 4. Ray Guss, 5. Brian Birkhofer, 6. Denny Eckrich, 7. Andy Eckrich, 8. Tim Isenberg.

KSE B-MAIN: (Top 4 Advance)
1. Kurt Kile, 2. Rob Toland, 3. Jimmy Mars, 4. Jeremiah Hurst.

WDRL DAVENPORT 25:
1. Darren Miller, 2. Brian Birkhofer, 3. Eric Pember, 4. Ray Guss, 5. Denny Eckrich, 6. Jimmy Mars, 7. Jason Utter, 8. Matt Furman, 9. John Kaanta, 10. Justin Fegers, 11. Andy Eckrich, 12. Tim Insenberg, 13. Kurt Kile, 14. Andrew McKay, 15. Ace Ihm, 16. Mike Klinkammer, 17. Chris Simpson, 18. Jeremy Grady. 19. Mike Fryer, 20. Darin Duffy, 21. Jeremiah Hurst, 22. Chad Simpson, 23. Rob Toland, 24. Dave Eckrich.

HIGHEST FINISHING ROOKIE: John Kaanta

CONTINGENCY AWARD WINNERS:
Iowa Illinois Taylor Insulation: Eric Pember, Chris Simpson, Darren Miller
KSE Consi Winner: Kurt Kile
QA1 Motorsports: Darren Miller
BSB Manufacturing: N/A
AMSOIL: Darren Miller
The Brake Man: Brian Birkhofer
Champ Pans: Eric Pember
Performance Bodies: Ray Guss
V-Performance Batteries: Denny Eckrich
Fast Shafts: Jimmy Mars