Dover Enjoys Competing in First Tulsa Shootout and Chili Bowl in a Decade

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - TULSA, Okla. (Jan. 22, 2019) - Jack Dover relished a couple of fresh experiences this month inside the River Spirit Expo Center, where he returned to micro sprint competition for the first time since 2009 and midget action for the first time since 2008.

"I want to thank Ben Zahm for letting me race his micro and Randy Washburn and C.J. Johnson for the opportunity at the Chili Bowl," he said. "I had a great time competing in both events."

4cee81d0-a1dd-4ad5-a405-18e666c54684.jpg
Dover raced against more than 250 drivers in both the outlaw and non-wing outlaw divisions during the 34th annual Lucas Oil Tulsa Shootout, which was Jan. 2-5. He placed fifth in a heat race and ninth in a C Main in the non-wing outlaw class, which he noted was more about seat time.

"Our goal all week was to focus on the winged car," he said. "We weren't as concerned with non-wing. It was more about getting laps."

That paid off as Dover powered from eighth to fifth place in winged outlaw heat race. An eighth-place result in a qualifier relegated him to a B Main, in which Dover maneuvered from seventh to fourth place to finish only two spots out of a transfer into the main event.

"I hadn't raced one since 2009 so it was a little different feeling, but I feel like we weren't way off," he said. "Back when I ran mini sprints they didn't have power steering and now they do. It made the steering a lot easier so I was trying to slow myself down. I was racing with one of the best guys out there and he really didn't pull us so I felt like we were really competitive. We threw a motor in it and some parts on it and went. Overall, I'm really pleased with how we did in the mini sprint."

Dover returned to the bullring last week for the 33rd annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals, which is an event that 350 drivers tackled. Dover had last raced in the spectacle in 2008 when he made his debut. He kicked off this year's event last Thursday with a run from fifth to second place in a heat race before finishing ninth in a qualifier.

"It's a tough deal," he said. "We went out for the qualifier and had a bleeder mishap in our right rear. It grew and as the race went on my car got worse. That really hurt. I think the biggest thing we fought was me not driving it as hard into the corner as I should have been and then not having the car tight enough."

Dover placed seventh in a B Main to miss a transfer by only three positions. The event wrapped up on Saturday, when Dover advanced from fifth to third place in an F Main before rallying from 18th to 12 th place in an E Main.

"Saturday was the best I was all week," he said. "We tightened the car up and I was driving into the corner a lot more. We broke a spark plug with five laps to go in the F Main so we were running on three cylinders the rest of the way. I think if we had all the cylinders we could have been top seven in the E Main.

"It was a fun week so thanks to Randy and C.J. for the opportunity. It was great to get behind the wheel of a race car. I can't wait to get my sprint car season started in a couple of months."

QUICK RESULTS -

Jan. 2 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. (non-wing outlaw) - Heat race: 5 (5).

Jan. 3 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. (winged outlaw) - Heat race: 5 (8).

Jan. 3 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. (non-wing outlaw) - C Main: 9 (3).

Jan. 4 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. (winged outlaw) - Qualifier: 8 (9).

Jan. 5 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. (winged outlaw) - B Main: 4 (7).

Jan. 17 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. - Heat race: 2 (5); Qualifier: 9 (5); B Main: 7 (7).

Jan. 19 - River Spirit Expo Center in Tulsa, Okla. - F Main: 3 (5); E Main: 12 (18).

UP NEXT -

TBD

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JackDoverRacing

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jackdoverracing?fref=ts

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Liquid Trucking

Founded in 1989, family owned Liquid Trucking has grown to one of the 30 largest tank trucking companies in the United States. Liquid Trucking prides itself on providing the highest quality liquid transport services out of the Midwest and servicing the continental United States and Canada. For more information, visit http://www.LiquidTrucking.com.

"I'm really excited to have a big, local company I can represent," Dover said. "When we travel around the Midwest we see their trucks everywhere. It's great to have a company like that want to be part of Jack Dover Racing."

Dover would also like to thank Carpet Land, SSS Motorsports, Certified Transmission, Moss Racing Engines, True Trucking, Backlund Plumbing, Speedway Graphics, Thorpe's Body Shop, Trail Performance Coatings Inc., Husker Diesel, Spike Chassis, Sway Away, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, Keizer Aluminum Wheels, Schoenfeld Headers, Langfeldt Overhead Doors, K&N Filters, FK Rod Ends, DMI, Speedway Motors, Vortex Wings, Ostransky Farms, Select Auto, Select Auto Body, R&G Services and Industrial Plating for their continued support.

PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES -

Jack Dover Racing is close to being able to compete across the country by returning to the Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour, where Dover has finished in the top 10 both seasons he has raced full time with the premier 360 sprint car series. He is also ready to compete with the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series en route to his dream of racing in NASCAR. For more information on partnership opportunities, e-mail JackDoverRacing@yahoo.com.

Back