Hagar Highlights Unique Season With Eight Triumphs

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - MARION, Ark. (Nov. 23, 2021) - Derek Hagar hit the eight-win mark in 2021 for the eighth time in the last nine years.

"We tried the 410 deal and it's hard to get wins with that competition," he said. "You really learn a lot and it helps going back to the 360. We missed some good shows in the Midsouth where we could have been contenders, but going to Eldora and Knoxville and running the 410 races brings your program up. We had a good season and were able to finish it out strong with a couple of wins and some good top-five finishes."

65452d4e-68a9-4629-a62b-cd0c5bb70709.jpg
Hagar swept the two preliminary nights of the Jesse Hockett/Daniel McMillin Memorial at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., which gives him five career Lucas Oil ASCS National Tour victories.

"It's tough to win two prelim nights anywhere you go whether it's a national level or a local show," he said. "To win both prelim nights was special in itself. And then losing a friend that week and telling his dad we'll do what we can to get a victory for him, and then to get two was special. I think it helped the family and friends going through that tough time of losing Jacob. He'd have been right there in Victory Lane with us so it was a special weekend for sure."

Hagar added three wins at Riverside International Speedway in West Memphis, Ark., including a round of the Flip Flop 50, the Grassroots Nationals and an ASCS Elite Non-Wing Series event. He was also victorious at Crowley's Ridge Raceway in Paragould, Ark.; at Old No. 1 Speedway in Harrisburg, Ark.; and at I-30 Speedway in Little Rock, Ark., during the Ralph Henson Memorial.

"We had some really good runs," he said. "It was another special win at the Flip Flop 50. That was the first time I drove our family car without Kenny there. It was very emotional and special as we closed out the season."

Additionally, Hagar earned a top-five outing at the Short Track Nationals for the second straight year and he posted his career-best run at the Knoxville Nationals. Another highlight was participating in the World of Outlaws Bristol Throwdown.

"I think Bristol really stands out because of the speed and having that experience," he said. "I've run silver crown cars on mile race tracks and you are hauling. It's a different kind of speed when you have downforce. Bristol was probably the most fun I've had in a race car as far as speed. It was awesome. I hope we get to do that again next year. We had a couple of good runs at the Kings Royal, too. We just have to learn the 410 stuff. Everything is different than we're used to. I think if we get on some smaller tracks we can shine more. We'll start out next year doing some 360 stuff and then hopefully doing more 410 racing."

SEASON STATS -

46 races, 8 wins, 18 top fives, 27 top 10s, 33 top 15s, 36 top 20s

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HagarDerek

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - J&J Auto Racing

Located in McKenzie, Tenn., J&J Auto Racing has manufactured sprint car chassis and racing parts for more than 40 years. For more information, visit http://www.JandJAutoRacing.com .

"They've been in the family since J&J Auto Racing started building cars," Hagar said. "My stepdad's dad owned race cars back in the Riverside days. They are good, safe, dependable race cars and great people to deal with."

Hagar would like to thank Pafford Medical Services, KO Motorsports, Dynotech Performance, B&D Towing and Recovery, FK Rod Ends, Fragola Performance Systems, Summit Truck Group, Administrative Consulting Services, Killer Coatings, Xtreme Race Graphics, Southern Collision Centre, Jeff's Heating and Cooling, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, Weld Wheels, DHR Suspension, Hinchman Racewear, Wix Filters, Valvoline and Ti64 for their continued support.

Back