Hejna joins Koster Racing for 2011 campaign

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (Jan. 26) -- Dirt Modified veteran Al Hejna of Clear Lake, Iowa, has announced that he will be behind the wheel of a new Big Cock Chassis for Koster Racing in 2011.

Hejna joins fellow competitor and friend Corey Dripps of Waterloo, Iowa, and 2010 WISSOTA Midwest Modified National Champion Brandon Davis of Medford, Minn., on the 2011 Koster Racing roster.

Dripps has owned and operated Big Cock Chassis since its inception in 2004.

“Koster Racing is proud to have somebody with the experience and talent of Al behind the wheel of one of our cars,” said Jon Koster. “Al and Corey work very well together and have already been traveling together, so it made a lot of sense. We can’t wait to get on the track in 2011.”

Hejna brings 28 years of motorsports experience and an impressive career record to his new home at Koster Racing. In just 19 seasons of competing in the Modified division, the ‘A-Train’ has clinched 10 track championships and recorded 110 feature victories – 23 of which have come in competition with the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour.

“About a week or so ago, Corey asked me if his car owner would be interested in owning another car, would I be willing to drive it,” Hejna explained. “I’m excited to race a Big Cock Chassis. Corey and I have been great friends for over twelve years and I’m very excited to get the chance to get in one of his cars. I'm thinking it's going to be a good year.”

Although the duo has traveled across the United States together for the past three seasons in Hejna’s hauler, the 2011 season will be the first time both Dripps and Hejna share a common chassis.

“Having the same cars will have quite a few advantages for us,” Hejna added. “It will cut down on the spare parts we'll have to bring since the cars are the same. Since the chassis are the same, we will be able to help each other better with that.”

Both he and Dripps will continue to race out of Hejna’s truck and trailer
The extra help from his newly acquired teammate and the crew is also a relief for Hejna as his former crew chief, Lyle ‘Gussy’ Gustafson, retired after the completion of the 2010 season.

Hejna’s transition to the Koster Racing stable will mark the end of a successful four-year relationship with Harris Auto Racing that generated 16 feature wins, including 10 USMTS triumphs.

“I have to thank Harris for the last four years, they have been just perfect to race for,” Hejna said. “John Logue and the crew down there built me some great race cars. I couldn't have asked for more from them and we parted on good terms.”

Both Hejna and Dripps are featured on Dirt Knights, the dirt track racing docu-drama TV series which follows six drivers in their pursuit of the USMTS National Championship. Race fans can watch the duo’s triumphs and struggles during the 2010 season with new Dirt Knights episodes broadcast in high definition each Sunday at 6 p.m. Eastern (5 p.m. Central) on VERSUS – the fastest-growing cable sports network in the nation. Replays of the Sunday shows air on Thursdays at 5 p.m. Eastern (4 p.m. Central) and online at www.modfury.com the following Friday.

An announcement regarding sponsorship of Hejna’s Big Cock Chassis and anticipated schedule is expected within the next few weeks.

For more information about Koster Racing, check out www.kosterracing.com. For more information about Al Hejna, check out www.alhejna.com. For more information about Corey Dripps, check out www.coreydripps.com. For more information about Brand Davis, check out www.medfordmonster.com. For more information about Dirt Knights, check out www.dirtknights.com.

To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube.

Back