Henderson and Sandvig End First Season Together With Tough Luck at Lakeside Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - KANSAS CITY, Kan. (Oct. 23, 2019) - The 2019 campaign concluded last Friday for Justin Henderson and car owner Mike Sandvig, who visited Lakeside Speedway for the FVP Platinum Battery Showdown featuring the World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series.

Henderson's night ended upside down after making contact with a spinning car in the feature. As a result of the damage sustained in the wreck, Henderson and Sandvig chose not to run the Jason Johnson Classic at Lake Ozark Speedway in Eldon, Mo., on Saturday as originally planned.

541122eb-7a43-4962-9da1-c0ccae69a57d.jpg
"We came into the weekend knowing we had speed and I think we showed we were capable of running well against a good field of cars," Henderson said. "Unfortunately, we got caught up in someone else's mess and we decided to end the weekend early. We wanted to race, but ultimately we were not going to be properly prepared and ready to really put forth a solid effort with the damage sustained."

Henderson began Friday night's event by timing in 17th quickest out of 32 cars with a fastest lap of 14.193 seconds. This earned him the fourth starting position in a heat race and he moved forward one position to finish third.

"We found some speed and I really felt like we were okay in the heat race," he said. "We made a few changes afterward and I think we had a car capable of moving forward in the feature."

Henderson started the main event 12th and was hoping to bring home a solid finish against a stout field of cars. However, on a restart a car got turned around in front of him and with nowhere to go Henderson made contact and ended up upside down. The damage was too much to overcome and ended his night in the 23rd position.

"We got pinballed around pretty good and by the time we stopped the car was pretty well wadded up," he said. "I wish we'd had a few laps to really see where we stood, but that's the way it goes sometimes."

This was the final race of 2019 for the duo. For it being their maiden season together, Henderson believes they learned a lot and are set up for future success going forward.

"I feel like we are way better here at the end of the year then when we started so I would definitely say the season was a good one," he said. "Every time we hit the track we got a little better. Now we have a good baseline and next season we have a team capable of winning. I'm looking forward to the future together with Mike."

QUICK RESULTS -

Oct. 18 - Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kan. - Qualifying: 16; Heat Race: 3 (4); Feature: 23 (12).

SEASON STATS -

28 races, 0 wins, 6 top fives, 10 top 10s, 15 top 15s, 16 top 20s

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Henderson_racin

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/90850346221/

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Morton Buildings

Morton Buildings builds the finest, pole barns, equestrian buildings, steel buildings and more. For more information, visit http://www.MortonBuildings.com .

"We've had a relationship with Morton Buildings for more than four years and they've really grown in the racing scene," Sandvig said. "We're thrilled to have such a reputable sponsor as part of our team."

Sandvig would also like to thank DeBerg Concrete, DeBerg Flooring, Enzlinger Electric, R2 Enterprise, Rider Racing Engines, Winters Performance, Schoenfeld Headers, Smith Titanium, Triple X Race Co., Vortex Wings, Keizer Aluminum Wheels, SBS FK Shocks, Hinchman Racewear, Heartland Kitchen Solutions and Simpson Race Products for their continued support.

Back