Kyle Steffens Victorious in Memory of Hockett at Lebanon I-44 Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Lebanon, MO; Memorial Day weekend brought great races and new faces to Monster Energy Victory Lane at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway, including a new winner after a wild Late Model feature.
Kyle Steffens came to the Lebanon I-44 Speedway with a heavy heart on Saturday after losing his good friend and fellow racer Jesse Hockett on Wednesday night. Steffens and Scott Atkinson won their respective heat races, after running first and second in the opening night feature, putting both drivers tailback after the invert. Jim Vanzandt and Caleb Hall would lead the field to the green for the start of the 30 lap feature with Vanzandt leading lap one. Kenny Dickinson, coming off a win the previous night, came charging hard to the front, taking the lead on lap two, with Steffens already into second. Steffens took the lead from Dickinson on lap 3 and would pull away by a couple of car lengths. Atkinson charged his way through the field and quickly ran down Steffens, catching him on lap six. Trouble would quickly strike as Steffens and Atkinson went for the same piece of real estate in turn one, with Atkinson spinning collecting a hard charging Joe Ross, ending Ross’ night. Steffens would lead the field back to green with Dickinson and a very fast Mike Sloan (making his Late Model debut) on his rear bumper. Atkinson would charge back through the field until mechanical problems took him out on lap number 11. Sloan moved into second place past Dickinson and quickly ran down the 6 car of Steffens. Sloan would bring out the caution at the halfway point after spinning while going for the lead in turn three. Sloan would quickly make his way back though the field, while Steffens and Dickinson had a fierce battle for the lead up front. Sloan ran down the leaders on lap 25 and went for the lead once again on lap 27. Sloan dove to the bottom in turn one, with Steffens holding his ground sending Sloan spinning once again. Dickinson would give Steffens several challenges for the lead over the final three circuits, but wasn’t able to make the pass as Steffens went on to claim his first Late Model win at I-44 Speedway. Dickinson came home second, Vanzandt third, a very impressive Mike Sloan fourth and Caleb Hall rounded out the top 5. “I will never win as many races as Jesse did,” said a very emotional Steffens in victory lane.” He was a great person and a good friend of mine and I’m so proud to win in honor of him tonight.”

Robert Baltzell was unable to make it to opening night, and going in to night two of the Monster Energy Chase for the Cup was unsure how his Modified would handle. Baltzell would win his heat, and then dominate the Carget Motors Dash for Cash, collecting $150 and confidence for the feature. Jim Reaves of Springfield led the Modifieds to the green for their 20 lap feature and would take early command of the feature. Baltzell had little problems working his way through traffic, taking the lead from Reaves on lap four and never looking back. Jason Otto, Reaves, Terry Taylor, and Phil Harris all battled fiercely for second place before Otto finally took the spot on lap 13 and set his sights on leader Baltzell. Otto had a long way to go to catch the leader, as Baltzell had over a halftrack lead on the field by lap 13. Otto didn’t catch the caution he needed and came up just one spot short of the win for the second week in a row while Baltzell cruised to the victory. Jim Reaves came in third, Harris fourth and Taylor rounded out the top five.

The Baby Grand Stock Cars were back in action at the high banks of the I-44 Speedway for the first time if the season Saturday night, with a young gun all the way from Indiana showing the way in dominant fashion. Cole Williams of Sellersburg, Indiana started eighth in the feature, and quickly picked his way through the field, taking the lead on lap number four and never looking back. The 14-year old dominated finishing over a straightway ahead of second place Tyler Herdman on his way to victory lane. Mark Rouse was third followed by Justin White and Jody Moore rounded out the top five.
Dale Roper Jr. grabbed the lead from young Devin Archer on the first lap and held him off to take his second Street Stock Feature in a row over Archer and Mike Coryell. Steve Shaw and Grant Sharp put on a great battle of veteran versus rookie, with the veteran Shaw prevailing over the rookie Sharp for the Pure Stock Victory. Gary Davenport from Marshfield took his Saturn to the lead on lap three over Josh Arl and taking the victory in the Charger Feature.

The Late Model Special scheduled for this Saturday June 5, has been moved to a later date. The Monster Energy Chase for the Cup will resume with week three this Saturday night with gates opening at 5:00, hot laps at 6:00 and racing at 7:30. Grandstand tickets are $10 for adults, $6 for juniors (ages 11-15) and free for kids 10 and under. Admission to the Budweiser Wild Side is $12 for adults, $7 for juniors and free for kids 10 and under. There is a $2 military and senior citizen discount for seniors 62 and over. Please visit www.i44speedway.net, twitter.com/i44speedway, or call (417) 532-2060 for more information.

Lebanon I-44 Speedway

Race Results for May 29, 2010

Late Models

Heats

1. 22 Scott Atkinson Conway 1. 6 Kyle Steffens St. Charles
2. 27 Joe Ross Kansas City 2. 77 Mike Sloan Rolla
3. 21 Ken Dickinson Lebanon 3. 69 Caleb Hall Lee Summit
4. 67 Jim Vanzandt Springfield 4. 4 Randy Besser Bolivar

Feature

1. 6 Kyle Steffens St. Charles
2. 21 Ken Dickinson Lebanon
3. 67 Jim Vanzandt Springfield