LS1 swap and failed Safety Inspection

echo412

Hi, I have an 85 RX7 with LS1 swap. The local tire shop failed me because I have an engine that did not come with the car. "The manufacturer didn't certify this chassis for this engine" .. he said i need to take my car to highway safety. Do you guys have any advice? Do know of a car enthusiastic friendly shop around metro west area? thanks

Aren't cars that are older than 25 years old now exempt from emissions requirements? I have a friend with several home built cars and he had to take them to the State Patrol for inspection but that was really only for IDOD and the patrol officer told him that it's purpose is to check for hot parts not safety or emissions compliance. That was needed so that he could get a "home built" title which might be an option.

I think it would be worthwhile to call around and ask a few people who do inspections.

Aren't cars that are older than 25 years old now exempt from emissions requirements? I have a friend with several home built cars and he had to take them to the State Patrol for inspection but that was really only for IDOD and the patrol officer told him that it's purpose is to check for hot parts not safety or emissions compliance. That was needed so that he could get a "home built" title which might be an option.

I think it would be worthwhile to call around and ask a few people who do inspections.

oddly enough, I've been an inspector for 20+ yrs, first, the car must have all emissions related components that came on the car originally. second, not starting with a friend in the business, since the car has already been inspected and failed in this manner, (they actually look for mvi's that weren't returned for re-inspection at original station) it will pop up on any other mvi machine. no inspector will pass it. (unless he is looking to be cited). you may want to call troop c anonymously and ask questions about specially constructed vehicle. Having had a friend in the business, he could have inspected it for you, and told you if you were ever asked, you changed the motor after the mvi. I believe you only need 1 mvi if you get historic plates. not sure about that however.

Dave, 1995 on back don't need obd test, however all emissions components need to be in place.1981 and newer need catalyst if equipped in mo, but 1975 and newer federally I believe.

Back