Marion, IL - Turnpike Speedway

rosswece

WSIL's Racing Superfan
I'm looking for anyone who may have some pictures from the "Turnpike" speedway that used to be in Marion, IL where the Ike Honda Dealership sits now. I work for a television station here in Southern Illinois doing racing stories and I want to do some "vintage" stories! Thanks to anyone who can help!

I loved Turnpike

I used to spend alot of time at Turnpike watching my dad's cousin, Jim Eaves race his #44 B-car. He was track champion there a couple of times. I fell in love with racing watching him race at that track as well as Cape Gerardeau and Wlliamson County. I've tried in the past to find old photos from those tracks in that era without much success. I know my cousin has some newspaper clippings and maybe some old 8mm. films, but that's about all I've seen. Good luck. If you find anything I would appreciate it if you would share it with me.

Brian #44

Then you probably remember my grandfather's name: Eddie Stearns. He drove in the area and raced against Eaves several times! I might know some people who could convert 8mm film to DVD...would I be able to get it?

Yes I remember Eddie Stearns, from Boskydell if I remember right. I seem to recollect Eddie driving the A-cars but so did Jim for a while. I also remember (let's play the B-car drivers name game) Dick Poe, Gary Easton, Ron Weaklly, Johnny Prior, B.J. Murphy, Ray Emling, Frank Kamuka, Gary Beatty, Bob Melvin, Denny Lingle, Larry Gowler, Lowell Talbert, and Johnny Powell just to name a few. I"ll check with Jim about the films, but they are pretty dear to him so I don't think he will let them too far out of his sight. But I'll check with him and see if I can work something out.

Brian #44

If he has a projector to show them on I could just record the video with my camera while it played on the wall

sent ya a PM my dad was the flagman when the flagman had control of a track LOL dang darkstar44 you are ol I wont type it LOL Really NOTHING sounds like the sawed off pipes of a flathead as it rolls off the gas setting in for a corner Beautiful I can still hear them and I am 45 dad says i shouldnt remember but I do and only wish my son could hear it ....

I know Amati and so did Cliff Cockrum they both ran Benton and Marion I was there ever Fri & Sat Night. You can call Carol Brown he work at the Christian TV Station in Marion he work there in early 70's

i know someone with fotage that raced there alot that would be my grandpa #24 Johnny Powell from fairfield, IL you can contact my mom at 618-231-4548 ask for Glenna . she can help you, please post when you get it done so we can watch

Amati used to do donuts all the way through the turn when he won or barrel roll down the front stretch tryin man had b a l l s of steel at benton

O.K. Here we go with the A-car (sprint) drivers. Amati, Cockrum, Cliff Johns, Bill Bost, Gene"Tubby" Black, Gene "The flying Eyeball " Henson, Johnny Kemp, Russ Racine, Joe Tom Reams, Gene Coombs, Don Jackson, Leon Gentry, Larry Miller, Jim Hall.. My cousin Jim drove both classes at the same time for a while but eventually went back to the B's.
Ohsomthin, you're right. I guess I am old. I went to these tracks from the time I was about 6 yrs. old 'til I was about 11 or 12. But you remember the first girl you fell in love with, well it's the same thing. I fell in love with racing watching these guys. I'll never forget them.
What is really neat is going to a track these days and hearing a name and realizing that it is the son of one of my heroes.

Brian #44

This is such an awesome thread!!! Brings back so many memories!!! I was there from the time I was 6 months old til it closed!!

Wouldn't it be neat if we could somehow have a reunion of some sort for these guys. I don't know how many of them are still around but I would love to sit in on some of the racing stories that they would tell. Just a thought.

Brian #44

Brian, I announced at I-57 in Benton. Johnny Kemp - The Belle Rive Bullet - won alot down there.

The sprints were king but the late models got everybody's attention too.

TTG/MM

Hey talker Guy I thought you and Mike Crow were the only announcers at the oldI-57 speedway ( sorry read that last post wrong ) I was there when gene Smith built that track and the corvette guy tried to promote it,,Then Larry Gowler took it over pit passes were $7.00 WOW guess i am offically old too LOL I made a special trip from the front stretch to the tower so magic Mike would stop callin me Tiger Tommy car got towed was an ugly site HA! I got blacked flagged by my own DAD for stoppin the show I knew everything then ..

Hey Talker Guy, I-57 was a little later than the tracks I'm talking about. John Kemp was late in his career in the i-57 days. I just got off of the phone with Jim and all he remembers is the announcers nickname was "peanut". Btw, is there a track that you haven't announced at? lol.

Brian #44

Loved the "Turnpike" --I grew up there!!! My grandparents were Dick and Sara Poe, my dad is Richard,so i guess that would make sense. Any thing you need to know or pics etc.. just let us know as dad and myself would glad to help you in anyway possible.

Brian,

So Jim is your uncle, right?

Man, I love Jim Eaves - it's a bit before my time, but I can remember the yellow 44

I try to go to the races with him at least once a year. I grew up in Appleknocker town

Back