Reigning “Copper World Classic” winner Dodson looks to defend title

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Media Contact: Michelle Petroff, Rising Star Management Group for Carl Edwards Racing/R.E. Technologies, (618) 406-6842 or mpetroff@risingstarmg.com

GREENFIELD, IN (November 5, 2008) – At only twenty years old, Cameron Dodson has impressive credentials to his credit including two premier USAC Silver Crown™ Series’ victories and the series’ 2007 “Rookie of the Year” honors all while competing in the Carl Edwards Racing/R.E. Technologies No. 199 Ford Racing machine. Although Dodson’s most recent win was in his last race entry at the Iowa Speedway hosted “Casey’s General Stores 100”, he enters this weekend’s famed “Copper World Classic” as the reigning event winner.

In the Indiana native’s first outing in the No. 199 this year, Cameron lined up 16th at Richmond International Raceway and advanced a staggering fourteen positions en route to a runner-up finish and honors as the event’s “Hard Charger Award” recipient. While Dodson has only competed in a limited USAC Silver Crown™ schedule during the 2008 campaign, he often steals the show whenever he is entered. Having their every move studied by their boss, let alone one of NASCAR’s best competitors, would make most young drivers nervous; however, Dodson takes a very different view on having team owner Carl Edwards at the track.

”Some people think that having Carl watch me would be added stress but it’s actually the opposite – he really helps keep me calm and focused,” noted Dodson. “He understands how things are from the driver’s seat and has so much experience at these tracks like Phoenix International Raceway that he can help me with my lines and adds a unique perspective that benefits our entire team. He often spots for me when he has an opportunity to be at the track with us and it’s always great to have him on the other end of the radio.”

With excellent equipment underneath him like the Yates-Roush Ford powered C&R Chassis, the 2007 Silver Crown™ Rookie of the Year has a high level of comfort in the No. 199 under the guidance of team manager and famed mechanic Chris Santucci. Santucci’s experience and open communication with his young driver have helped Dodson’s confidence behind the wheel and that momentum is something that the Carl Edwards Racing/R.E. Technologies’ team looks to carry in to Phoenix.

”Chris Santucci and the entire Carl Edwards Racing/R.E. Technologies team also work to give me the best handling cars on the track,” Dodson praised. “Our team is starting to gel and that confidence we have in one another has translated to wins for us. I can’t thank Carl, Chris, all of the guys at the shop, Ford Racing, and, of course, the Yates-Roush engine shop for their hard work and giving me this opportunity. Hopefully we can add another one of those Copper World trophies to our trophy case.”

The 100 circuits of the “Copper World Classic”, a three decade old tradition, is scheduled for a 9:40 p.m. EST start at the paved, one-mile oval of Phoenix International Raceway on Thursday, November 6, 2008, and is touted as the season finale for the USAC Silver Crown™ cars. Complete information on the historic USAC Silver Crown™ Series including additional event information is available by logging on to http://www.usacracing.com and the latest Cameron Dodson news can be found at http://www.camerondodson.com.

Dodson’s #199 Carl Edwards Racing/R.E. Technologies C&R Chassis is powered by a Yates-Roush Ford engine and carries sponsorship from Ford Racing, Red Line Oil, Hoosier Tire, The Wax Shop, The Joie of Seating, and Mechanix Wear.

Back