RPM Racing Celebrates 10th Year Of Publication

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Doc Lehman

Latrobe, PA --- One of the northeast’s more popular weekly auto racing trade newspapers, RPM Racing News, will enter it’s 10th year of publication this coming week when the April 12, 2005 edition is published. RPM Racing News is the reality of a joint venture between Dr. David Horne and David Kittey. In 1993 they purchased the monthly magazine Racing's Almost Perfect Magazine. The two had a goal, the need to fill a void they saw within the area's weekly news coverage of auto racing during the racing season. They continued to publish the magazine while still keeping their vision in mind and ten years ago made the decision to become a weekly trade paper. In 1996 the conception of their dreams became a reality, as RPM Racing News acquired Tri-State Auto Racing News, the areas oldest racing publication. The acquisition strengthened the market exposure and coverage for RPM Racing News. The move made RPM Racing News the leading periodical covering racing in the area.

“Wow! Ten years!” exclaimed Dave Kittey, co-editor & co-publisher. “I still can't believe it. It seems like it was just yesterday that Dave & I were riding to Port Royal for a March or April race and we made the final decision to do a weekly newspaper the following year. I had been doing Racing's Almost Perfect Magazine for three years and wanted to do something different. Dave Horne and I always wanted to something together and well here we are!”

RPM Racing News is a weekly racing results newspaper publishing 27 issues a season. Weekly publications begin in April and run through September, with additional printings in October and December. RPM Racing News carries results of nearly 100 of the area race tracks, from West Virginia to Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, New York and Western and Central Pennsylvania. Coverage includes Sprint cars, Late Models, Modifieds, Go-Karts, Dirt Tracks and Asphalt Tracks, as well as all the major sanctioning bodies: NASCAR, MACS, KARS, All Stars, WoO, NARA, York Triathlon, ESS and URC, you name it, and RPM Racing News covers it!

“When we started RPM we looked at all the different publications and tried to combine the things we liked the best,” explained Kittey. “We do feature stories on the many fascinating people involved in motor sports. Since results were becoming more available on the internet we decided we wanted to have as many columnists as we could and that has worked out well. I feel we have a great staff who are dedicated to auto racing and we are always looking for more talented writers to add to our staff.”

Among some of the many columnists who contribute on a regular basis are DJ Johnson, Gordy Killian, Judy Gower, Dustin Jarrett, Rev. Bill Waugh, Jay Cline, Gordon & Suzi Sherff, Jim Carmichael, Walt Wimer, Jeff Yost, Chuck Bollinger, Rick Rarer, Don Gamble, Joan Bertges, Lou Long, Terry Whetstone, Dave Dragovich, Todd Heintzelman, Doc Lehman and others. Also, a wide array of professional photographers also contribute numerous photos each issue.

“It was definitely a challenge but the paper caught on very fast and after purchasing area's leading paper for 33 years, Tri-State Auto Racing News, we grew over double in size,” continued Kittey. “Our 10th Pull Out Schedule issue is due out on April 19 and it is the biggest one yet. We have close to 90 tracks and organizations participating in this year’s edition and we are really excited. We have added one new writer for this year and that is 15-year old TJ Layne from Ohio. TJ will cover the southern Ohio region every other week and we are looking forward to him joining our family of writers. We have some (writers) who will tell it like it is and not hide their feeling or comments. Those are the ones who give me gray hairs!”

“Two words that best describes RPM Racing News's staff are dedicated and knowledgeable. Our staff has a diverse wealth of knowledge about auto racing and is experienced in bringing the readers the most up-to-date results from the race tracks, to all the latest news going on behind the scenes. When news happens in racing, RPM Racing News readers will know it!”

Subscriptions are available for $25.00 for one year (save over 30% of cover price) or $45.00 for two years (save over 40% off cover price). For additional information call the RPM Racing News office at: 724.537.8962 or visit the RPM Racing News website at: http://www.jpwd.com/rpm/

-Prepared by Lehman Motorsports Services

Back