STL Native Steffens Ready for Chili Bowl

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
1152851463_Pjvzz-M.jpg

TULSA, Okla. – Cars are on the track today practicing for the 25th Annual Chili Bowl Nationals, one of the most prestigious races in the country featuring such stars as NASCAR champion Tony Stewart, NHRA champion Cruz Pedregon, USAC Triple Crown winner JJ Yeley, and five-time event winner Sammy Swindell. Among the 260+ teams competing for the Golden Driller is St. Louis native Kyle Steffens who is making his second attempt to make Saturday night’s 50-lap A-main.

It was here last year where Steffens not only made his Chili Bowl debut, but his debut in an open-wheel midget sprint car. Although he normally drives dirt late models and modifieds and asphalt late models at tracks all over the Midwest, Steffens impressed many in the racing world with his efforts in 2010.

“It is a mix of emotions heading back to the Chili Bowl,” he said Saturday afternoon after arriving in Tulsa. “I feel incredibly lucky to have another opportunity in great equipment. On the other hand it is also stressful getting all of the sponsor obligations together at the last minute, but that is what makes this deal fun. It is a controlled chaos.”

This year, Steffens, 26, is racing for Zach Daum Motorsports, one of the top midget series teams in the Midwest. It is the combination of top-notch equipment and the foundation he built during last year’s Chili Bowl that gives Steffens an injection of confidence this week.

“To be in good company with Zach Daum, and the whole Daum team, gives me a chance to obtain anything with a little bit of luck,” Steffens said. “When you are rolling into a track to compete it is crucial to be in top notch equipment, and have a great crew chief. Daum Motorsports has every bit of this!”

While Steffens, who hopes to run more midget races throughout the 2011 season, knows that only the best of the best have the chance to be one of the 25 drivers to race for the win Saturday, he has high hopes that a combination of luck, ability, experience, and equipment will get him and Zach Daum Motorsports to the A-Main.

“My goals for the 2011 Chili Bowl are as follows: Run top 2 in my heat race, and then have a good run in the qualifier Thursday night to help set me up for Saturdays main event,” he said. “Last year we caught some bad luck, and this year I would really like to capitalize on the knowledge I gained from the 2010 Chili Bowl Midget Nationals.

“I really have to thank everyone that came together to support me in my efforts for the 2011 Chili Bowl. Daum Motorsports, I-44 Speedway, Brennon Willard Motorsports, Blue Ridge Motorsports, Performance Plus, and Engines Overnight. Without these people I would not have the great opportunities I have had.”

For full coverage of the 2011 Chili Bowl Nationals, visit RacinBoys.com for analysis and lap-by-lap commentary. For more information on the Chili Bowl, go to ChiliBowl.com.

Daum is the 2007 POWRi Series Midget Rookie of the Year and is the reigning USAC Midget Series Rookie of the Year and also has an extensive racing background. For more on Daum Motorsports, visit them on the Web at ZachDaum.com and on Twitter at Twitter.com/DaumMotorsports. Fans can follow Kyle Steffens Motorsports on its official page on Facebook.

For more on HighSide Media, go to HighSideMedia.com, Twitter.com/HighSideMedia, or its official page on Facebook.

-HSM-

About HighSide Media

Founded in 2007, HighSide Media has represented some of the top drivers, teams, facilities, and sanctions in American motorsports. HighSide Media provides public and media relations for racers at every level with tailor-made programs for every budget. Pass YOUR Competition on the HighSide.

Back