Swing Arm Help

blackdemon17

I have a Shaw modified setup on a swing arm just like a Lightning chassis. I have no forward bite and when the track gets slick I'm finished. I have the long pull bar mounted low on the frame and high on the rear end. My panhard bar is low on the pinion and high on the frame. I have been running a 275 spring on the RR and a 350 on the LR. Can anyone give me any ideas how to get my car to react and pick up more.

More info

What type of pull-bar? ... and how much angle do you have in it?

How much rear % do you have? How much cross?

My pullbar is a lightning pull bar straight from lightning. It is a long bar with rubber bushings. It is mounted as far to the front and as low as it can be on the frame and as high up on the rear end that it can go. My rear % is usually no lower than 56 %.

my ramblings

56% rear!!! Pretty sure you are good with that. :eek: :D

I have no experience with Lightenings but I do run swingarm/swingarm. Here are a couple suggestions that I have for ya…

1) Try a spring loaded pull bar with a progressive rate spring or maybe the Colman type that uses two shorty springs (4 inches) and play with the spring rates.

2) Sounds like you have all the uphill angle you can possibly get on the pullbar itself… IF the car feel likes its gon-na go like hell coming out of the corner but gives up quickly going down the straight when it’s dry… Take some angle out.

One other thing I wanted to comment on… If the car works good through the corner and feels good to you just ignore my ramblings with this part… 275 RR spring sounds a bit light to me on a swingarm… 75 lbs. split across the rear seems a bit too much also… 300 RR / 325 LR might help ya out some too… OF course that’s just me… Cars are different, drivers are different, what you have now may be working just fine for you. Just get rid of that biscuit bar! ;)

Im having trouble in the corner. When I get back on the gas it wants to break loose real easy and if I try to go in hard it won't stick any more suggestions?

I would increase the rear % to at least 58 but it would be better if its 60. This is a 3link car isn't it? Chevelle clip? What springs are you running on the front, what offsets every where, what shocks, have you called Shaw for help? What are your scale wts at each wheel and how much lr are you running? The first thing you need to do is correct the entry into the corner. Is it loose or tight going in?

Back