WORLD Dirt Racing League Closes Series

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
The WORLD Dirt Racing League (WDRL) is sorry to announce that it will no longer have the Touring Series WDRL and is discontinuing business as such immediately.

We hated to have to make this announcement because of the loyalty of the race fans, race teams, and several racetracks that we have been fortunate to have races at each year.
We have a lot of friends out there that will be missed tremendously and we wish them all the best of luck. For all of these reasons it was a very hard decision to make said Jim Wilson (President of WDRL)

The WDRL was formed and started by Jim Wilson after NASCAR made the decision to discontinue the All-Star Tour after 17 years of operation. “I had so many drivers and a lot of promoters come to me after the word was out that the All-Star Tour would no longer be in existence and asked me to start my own Touring Series and keep the Dirt Late Model Tour going in the Mid-West. I decided to resign from NASCAR at that time and do it. “

“After working for NASCAR for 20 years the only way that I knew or even wanted to run a race program, was to run it professionally and with professionally trained officials.
We hired the best officials we could find to run the race programs at the WDRL races. I thank Mark Ludwig, Ron Streger, Art Daufeldt, Rusty Daufeldt, Phil Roberts, Chris Hansen, Dean and Shirley Howe, Mable McCuen, Eldon Wilson, Tom Lathan, Steve Pauley, Cheryl Huchinson, and Bucky Doren for their part of making the WDRL a professionally ran series. These officials didn’t all work with us at the same time, but were all instrumental in making the WDRL the best run short track series in the United States. In the 8 years that we ran the WDRL we never had one complaint of unfair treatment and never had one injury that was bad enough to turn in for insurance. That tells me that the officials were doing their jobs treating all teams the same and making sure the race cars were as safe as possible.

We lost our title sponsor, PolyDome in 2008 due to circumstances beyond their control and we were never able to pick up another. I thank Dick and Karla and Dan and Pam Johanneck of PolyDome for their 6 years of sponsorship and for all they have done for us and for short track racing through their sponsorship.

I thank Jim Groves of Iowa Illinois Taylor Insulation for his sponsorship for each year of the WDRL. They supported the WDRL from day one and Jim and Julie are great friends as well as being great supporting sponsors.

I want to say thanks to Lee Havlik and Josh Anderson of Chase Signs and Graphics for their sponsorship from the beginning of the WORLD Dirt Racing League and for all they have done for us and for racing. They are the ones that designed the WDRL logo for us.

I thank Hoosier Racing Tires for their continued sponsorship. I realize that our guys are spending money with them, but they have been willing to put something back. They have also been with us from the beginning.

We thank all of the sponsors of the WDRL. They have all been generous to our race teams and we appreciate that.
I want to thank the fans of the WDRL. We have received a lot of supportive emails and letters written to us and a lot of nice things said to us after races and we appreciate each and every one of those. We have some great fans.

We want to thank the race teams that have supported the WDRL and have run all over the Mid-West with us for the last 8 years. These guys have all been a pleasure to work with and have been willing to work with us in any way we asked them too.

Last but not least I want to thank the promoters and the race tracks that have supported the WDRL and have promoted WDRL races. We have been able to meet some new faces as well as work with some we’ve known for years and it has been quite a ride.

What Nancy and I are going to do is up in the air right now. I am too young to retire and am not even thinking about doing that. We have some irons in the fire and we will keep everyone posted.

Again thanks to everyone that has been involved in the WDRL. We hope you enjoyed this series as much as we enjoyed doing it.

Back