‘Chubzilla’ Survives Rash Of Flat Tires To Score 10th-Place Finish In ‘Outlaw Sizzler 101’ At Tazewe

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
BEAR LAKE, PA – July 6, 2011 – Chub Frank conserved his rubber well enough to salvage a 10th-place finish in Sunday night’s inaugural ‘Outlaw Sizzler 101’ at Tazewell (Tenn.) Speedway.

Unfortunately, the veteran driver from Bear Lake, Pa., felt he might have slowed the pace of his Corry Rubber/Hino Toyota/Horton Equipment Rocket No. 1* a bit too much in a World of Outlaws Late Model Series event that featured a late-race outbreak of flat tires.

“I was just trying to save my tires the whole way,” said Frank, who inched his way forward from the 17th starting spot largely due to the tires woes experienced by racers ahead of him. “The track was rubbered up, there wasn’t any passing and everybody pretty much had on the same hard tires, so it was basically a matter of how much you abused your tires. I was afraid I was going to wear mine out so I backed off as much as I could.

“Actually, we ended up having way more tire left than I thought we would. We could’ve abused it a little harder and maybe got a little better finish, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it.”

Frank, who scored his seventh top-10 finish of the 2011 WoO LMS, was saddled with a starting spot deep in the 101-lap A-Main’s 24-car field after running into some trouble during Saturday night’s qualifying program. After timing 14th-fastest out of 30 cars, Frank absorbed a hard blow to his car’s right-side door on the opening lap of the second 15-lap heat race – contact that forced him to make a pit stop during an ensuing caution period. He returned and made some strong moves to claim the sixth and final transfer position, but he would have preferred a better finish so he could have started closer to the front in a $20,000-to-win race on a high-banked, one-third-mile oval where passing is often a difficult chore.

Frank ended the weekend at Tazewell ranked seventh in the WoO LMS points standings, 194 points behind leader Rick Eckert. Only 80 points separates third from eighth in the standings, however.

Next on the WoO LMS schedule for Frank is the four-race ‘Wild West Tour,’ which visits Independence (Iowa) Motor Speedway on July 12; Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., on July 13; River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks, N.D., on July 15; and Gillette (Wyo.) Thunder Speedway on July 19.

For more information on Chub Frank, visit his Web site at www.chubfrank.com.

Chub Frank Racing receives support from many valued sponsors, including Corry Rubber, Lake Shore Paving, Hino Toyota, Sorbera Family Chiropractic, Horton Equipment, All-Star Performance, Slavic Corporation, Custom Race Engines, GW Performance, Integra Shocks and Hoosier Tire.

Back