‘Kid Rocket’ Scores Second In 40-Lap NAPA Late Models Pavement Debut

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Smithton, PA --- Josh ‘Kid Rocket’ Richards, the 16 year old phenom from Shinnston, WV likely won over some new race fans tonight…..asphalt fans! Richards, a contender for the Rookie of the Year title with the World of Outlaws Late Model Series, made his pavement racing debut Friday night April 15 at the Motordrome Speedway in Smithton, PA for the Season Opener featuring the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series NAPA Late Models in a 40-lap main event. When the final checkers flew Kid Rocket soared across the checkers in second place in his pavement debut.

“The car was real good, I couldn’t ask for a better car,” stated Richards moments after exiting the car. Richards drove Neil Brown’s Late Model. Richards also won his heat race and that boded well for the evening. “We went out and won the heat race and then started seventh in the feature and I was kind of worried about that but then we started moving up through the field and the guy that won (track champion Rick Miller) got by us but he was gone. I was about half a straightaway behind him and the guy in third behind me was a half straightaway behind me. But the car was awesome and I drove as hard as I could and got up to second.”

Racing on pavement is a big difference from his regular dirt Late Model ride but Kid Rocket was genuinely enthused with his first competitive performance on pavement. “It was fun,” offered Richards. “It was like driving a dirt car in the rubber. I would have been happy with a top five but to get a second, I’m real happy with that.”

Richards will return to Motordrome Speedway next week for another Friday night of pavement Late Model racing.

On Saturday evening April 16 Kid Rocket will make his racing debut at the mighty Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, OH for the Sunoco American Late Model Series (ALMS) program. Kid Rocket will compete in his Mark Richards Racing-owned #1 Seubert Calf Ranches, Ace Metal Works, MCB Motorsports, Hoosier Racing Tires, Rocket Chassis, Cornett Engines Gran Prix.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” said Richards. “I’ve been there a lot but never raced there. I’ve watched everyone race there but now I’ll see how it is to run there. We’re going to take our new car out there and see how it does. We’ve only tested it.”

Next weekend Kid Rocket will be in action at Motordrome Speedway on Friday night and then will be back on the dirt for the MACS race at The Rock/Allegany County Speedway in Cumberland, MD before heading back on the road the following week with the World of Outlaw Late Model Series at Lernerville Speedway and Hagerstown Speedway.

For more information on Josh ‘Kid Rocket’ Richards visit his website at: www.joshrichards.com

-Prepared by Lehman Motorsports Services

Back