‘The General’ Sweeps The Weekend; Driver Replacement For IRS

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Loudonville, OH --- Ohio-based dirt Late Model star George ‘The General’ Lee started off his 2007 racing season in a big way last weekend by sweeping both feature events the leader of Team GLR competed in. Lee took feature wins at Hilltop Speedway in Millersburg, OH and the following night at Federated Auto Parts Wayne County Speedway in Orrville, OH. This weekend Lee will be in North Carolina working on a NASCAR Busch East team with a Hall of Fame driver slated to take his seat in his dirt Late Model.

Lee won driving his Maibach Ford of Orrville, OH, Valvoline Oil, Bishop Collision & Repair Center, American Payroll Advance, Cowen Truck Lines, Hague Crystal Clear Water, Mason Racin’, Bert Transmission, Hoosier Racing Tire and Reliable Mold sponsored Rocket Chassis/Malcuit Racing Engines Ford Fusion #21.

“The weekend was unreal, still can't believe I swept this weekend,” stated Lee who competed during the weekend battling a severe viral infection. “I never have done that before. Hilltop was great. Racing with Corey Conley in the dash was fun and Corey came on strong at the end of the feature. I was able to hold of his advancements. Unreal opening night!”

”Saturday (crew members) Jeff & Dave worked and checked out the car for Wayne County, so that allowed me to rest after work before we left. We found out once we arrived at Wayne County that we needed to work on both the driver and the car.
We qualified 12th quick and were caught completely off guard by the track. After changing the set-up and giving the driver a new tune up, we ran the heat race and finished fifth.”

“Due to the luck of the invert, we started the feature in third. After a lap three restart I knew that we needed to get into the lead real quick due to the track showing its hand so on the restart I passed the leader on the outside going into #1 turn and that was what we needed to stay out in front. Later in the race Rick Bond was all over me, but I knew I had to keep the car smooth & straight.”

“Wonderful weekend for the crew. They are just pumped and on our way home, Jeff asked me very quietly, ‘Think you can be sick all summer?’ I lay back down on the seat and said no way! (Laughs)!”

Lee will be out of his car this weekend as he travels to Greenville-Pickens, SC for the NASCAR Busch East race serving as crew chief to driver Tim Cowen.

Lee’s Maibach Ford #21 will be in action regardless this coming weekend for the inaugural Independent Racing Series (IRS) sanctioned race at Hilltop Speedway. National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame driver Racin’ John Mason will occupy the seat for the ‘Deadline 50’.

Fellow Team GLR member Trevor Phillips competed in the main event Saturday night at Federated Auto Parts Wayne County Speedway in Orrville, OH where he scored an 11th place finish in his Maibach Ford of Orrville, OH, Valvoline Oil, Bishop Collision & Repair Center, American Payroll Advance, Cowen Truck Lines, Hague Crystal Clear Water, Mason Racin’, Bert Transmission, Hoosier Racing Tire and Reliable Mold sponsored Rocket Chassis/Malcuit Racing Engines Ford Fusion #6.

Tentative plans for Phillips this weekend will either be racing at Lakeville Speedway in Lakeville, OH or Attica Raceway in Attica, OH.

Lee & Phillips will be spotlighted in a feature article in an upcoming edition of Dirt Late Model magazine.

Team GLR’s top-notch crew will return for the 2007 season including Jeff (Root) Long, Dave Hazelet, Kerrissa Darr, Aaron Hullett, Mark & Ed Hagen, Jerry Phillips and Sherri Lee.

For more on George ‘The General’ Lee visit: www.georgeleeracing.com For more on Trevor ‘Hulkster’ Phillips visit: www.trevracing.com

-Prepared by Lehman Motorsports Services/Contact: Jarrod Lehman

Team GLR would like to acknowledge their supporters for 2007:

Maibach Ford of Orrville, OH, Valvoline Oil, Bishop Collision & Repair Center, American Payroll Advance, Cowen Truck Lines, Hague Crystal Clear Water, Mason Racin’, Bert Transmission, Hoosier Racing Tire, Reliable Mold, Lehman Motorsports Services, Rocket Chassis & Malcuit Racing Engines.

Back