1/10th mile dirt track @ MCS

Qtrmileracer

I was informed this morning that Mel has built a 1/10th mile dirt track off turn 1 at MCS.Apparently the options are open as to what is run there (go carts,etc.) but it's my understanding Mel would like to rent or lease this out for such events and have as little to do with it as possible.Preferably some sort of santioning body that would (could) use it throughout the racing season.

Is there any interest in Quarter Midgets?I know there are quite a few from this area who go to Greenville and elsewhere.Not to take away from any of the Illinois tracks,but to add an option on this side of the river.My Grandson is in his first year of Quarter Midets and this would be a great option for him.
Let me know..........

I'm not sure it would be able to be a sanctioned QMA event or track. As far as I know the maximum size track for Quarter Midgets in QMA is 1/20th of a mile. I can find out for sure but that is my understanding. My son raced Quarter Midgets for 4 years, and I'm pretty sure the rule book states that the track can't be bigger than 1/20th of a mile. You might be able to put together an outlaw event though, but that's twice the size of a regular QMA track and I'm sure there will be safety and gearing issues.

I'm not sure it would be able to be a sanctioned QMA event or track. As far as I know the maximum size track for Quarter Midgets in QMA is 1/20th of a mile. I can find out for sure but that is my understanding. My son raced Quarter Midgets for 4 years, and I'm pretty sure the rule book states that the track can't be bigger than 1/20th of a mile. You might be able to put together an outlaw event though, but that's twice the size of a regular QMA track and I'm sure there will be safety and gearing issues.

Thanks for the reply...I knew it was quite a bit bigger,but I didn't know about the rule governing that.

would be a very good place for someone to step in and run karts and 600 micro sprints!!!!!!

You are correct on QMA rules... And if I remember right, Godfrey put on a couple outlaw 1/4 midget races.

Pittsfield ran 1/4 midgets once a year, it was cool. They went real fast and believe it or not it was good racing.
So I would say 1/10th would probably be okay for an outlaw 1/4 midget race.
It would probably be a lot more fun than all of the drama that goes on in a QMA sanction, Pittsfield was.
Jeff

Local rumor is, it was built with go-carts in mind and a local carting group was asked about running it. That's as much as I had heard about it several months ago.

Back