1950's Midget Racing

Jeff Brown

I'm looking for some old photos of the Don Gerstner circle 7 midget that raced in the St. Louis area in the 1950's. I'm in the process of restoring the car and any photos anyone might have of this car would be greatly appreciated. Here are some photos of the car pre-restoration. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 238
I don't believe I have any pics of his car, but I do have lots of parts for V8 60's and rail frame midgets.
Most are for sale.

THANX RICH
636 274 3096

I'm looking for some old photos of the Don Gerstner circle 7 midget that raced in the St. Louis area in the 1950's. I'm in the process of restoring the car and any photos anyone might have of this car would be greatly appreciated. Here are some photos of the car pre-restoration. Thanks
HI--I have a photo of Don and the car in my photo file. If you email me at wandak1776@att.net I will email it back to you. Wanda Knepper

Hi Rich, I'm needing a in and out box for a V8 60....do you have one?
I have a few in and out boxes, give me a call.
636 274 3096

THANX RICH

Jeff. Maybe you have tried to call me and I missed it, or you haven't had time, or whatever, but believe me, it is in YOUR best interest to call me! {618}792-5228.

Brian Eaves

V8 60 used a different bolt pattern on the block than an 85HP 59A? I've never worked on a 60HP before so I'm curious.

That car's really neat what did they use for a rear end in a midget? Did they use one from a V8 car or a model A?

Yes the V8 60 bolt pattern for the transmission is different that the full size V8 of the same era.
In a midget as well as a sprint car the in and out box does not bolt directly to the block, in fact most V8 60 midgets had the bell housing part of the block cut off.
Either way there was a motor plate bolted to the block and the in & out box bolted to the rear of the motor plate. There was a coupler that bolts to the crankshaft (similar to what is used with a Bert) and the input for the in & out box is driven by the coupler.
There are also in & out boxes that had the quick change built into them.
There were quite a few different rear ends used in midgets, but the majority of what you find were Halibrand.
Early on they used the Model A style QC but as HP progressed they changed to V8 QC's.
The main difference between the 2 are the width of the change gears.

THANX RICH

That's very interesting. Which V8 60 blocks were preferred for racing the earlier ones with the "tin" sides or the later ones that were cast differently? Or did it not make any difference? That stuff must be really tough to find today.

I'm not sure which one was preferred. On one hand the tin side was lighter, but I have at least one of them where the tin is separating from the block.
In 1940 they changed the journal size and the '40 could be made into a .100 over bore and .100 stroker using the early rods.
I have 10 or so 60's with 2 or 3 being race ready.
One of the race engines is a .100 X .100 . It belonged to Lou Feger who was the grandfather of the Feger that currently runs a late model.
Most of the 60 engines and parts I have came to me just because people know I have cars that this stuff is used in.

THANX RICH

Back