2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Driver Review: Eric Jacobsen

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Bret Emrick

As a race car driver competing against the best in the business is the ultimate goal no matter how far away it may seem. Not only is the goal far away but where you want to go for that goal is far away as well. The race car driver gives it a go to test the waters. The race car driver then steps away to contemplate if an opportunity will come along to make that ultimate goal a reality.

When opportunity knocks one must take it. And, once that race car driver takes that opportunity they must make the best of it. That’s exactly the scenario of the 2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series season for Eric Jacobsen of Santa Cruz,CA.

Traveling across country in February to test the waters at Florida’s Voulsia Speedway Park, “The Earth Shaker” had made a name for himself on the west coast. It was now time to look deep inside of himself to see if he had what it took to compete against the best in the business. Gaining valuable knowledge in the two nights of racing at V.S.P. proved to Jacobsen that he had more work to do failing to qualify for either event.

Heading back to California to regroup, Jacobsen still had every intention of fulfilling that ultimate goal. Switching chassis makes and engine builders, building an arsenal of equipment, gathering the crew and moving part of his west coast racing operation to West Virginia were just some of the many logistical issues that Jacobsen faced.

By late June, Jacobsen got back on the WoO Late Model Series trail entering the event at Ransomville Speedway in New York. As had happened at the beginning of the season another DNQ (did not qualify) resulted in disappointment after so much work. But, all that work to fulfill the ultimate goal would not be determined by just one event.

Qualifying for the next three events (Fulton,NY, Bridgeport,NJ and Stateline,NY) was a definite step in the right direction though the results (22nd, 16th and 21st) were less than spectacular. Another quick step away from the tours next four events was needed to once again regroup.

Rejoining the tour in late July, Jacobsen was now ready to fulfill his ultimate goal and all steps were now in place to make it a reality. Completing the remainder of the 2005 WoO Late Model Series season for Jacobsen proved that the driver of the Well-Pict Berries/Soil Fume,Inc. No. 5WP Eric Jacobsen Racing Rocket Chassis/Pro Power Racing Pontiac Grand Prix belonged among the nations elite dirt Late Model drivers.

Racing hard and clean and showing the determination to continue to compete against the best in the business, despite cross-country airline flights back and forth to California, Jacobsen’s sacrifice and determination to fulfill the ultimate goal paid off. A season best fifth place finish in the July 26th rain shortened Lebanon’s I-44 Speedway in Missouri and a seventh place finish four days later at North Dakota’s Red River Valley Speedway paid off with a late August invitation to join the Series as a contracted driver for the remainder of the 2005 season.

“That was a huge surprise to me”, stated Jacobsen. “I really felt honored that the best drivers and teams in the country accepted me as one of their own. That means more to me than most people know. It’s been a dream of mine to be able to race against these guys. Being from the west coast we never had that chance before. When the invitation was offered by DIRT MotorSports it was one of the best things that ever happened to me and my racing.”

Though the results may only show one Top 5 finish and two Top 10 finishes and two fast qualifier honors in 25 events that Jacobsen entered and a 14th place finish in Championship points there is more to Jacobsen’s 2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series season. The knowledge gained and the respect earned by his peers as well as that dogged determination to realize the ultimate goal show that success is more than just numbers.

When opportunity knocks, one must take it. Just ask Eric Jacobsen.

2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Final Championship Points

Showing Pos., Car #, Driver, Residence, Entered, Starts, Wins, Top 5’s, Top 10’s, Fast Times, Heat Wins, “B” Wins, Dash Wins, Purse $ Won

14. # 5WP Eric Jacobsen – Santa Cruz,CA: 25 – 22 – 0 – 1 – 2 – 2 – 0 – 1 – 0 - $21,550

The World Of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to the fans across the country by several sponsors and partners, including series sponsors Hoosier Racing Tire and SPEED Channel. Promotional Partners include AMB i.t., RACEceiver, HUMMERSGONEWILD.COM, Zippo Lighters, and The University of Northwestern Ohio. Contingency sponsors include DART Machinery, MSD Ignitions, Wrisco Industries, and Quarter Master.

Back