2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Driver Review: Josh Richards

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Bret Emrick
He grew up around dirt Late Model racing and it was clear that racing was to be his path. For Josh Richards of Shinnston,WV the 2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series was going to be a challenge. Only 17 years of age the young man known as “Kid Rocket” was going after the “Rookie of the Year” title and was going to attempt it against some of the best drivers in the land. Definitely a strong test for anyone, let alone a 17 year-old driver.

When the 2005 season came to an end it was obvious that Richards had passed the final exam with flying colors. Keeping his nose clean during the season opening events at Florida’s Volusia Speedway Park in February, the then high-school junior went back to school sitting tied for thirteenth in the Championship points. He passed the first test.

Heading into the “Northern” opening races, “Kid Rocket” knew he needed to watch, listen and learn. But youth are restless. With a DNF at Allegany County Speedway in Maryland followed by a Top 10 finish at Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway and then a third place finish at Lernerville Speedway in Pennsylvania and a jump to eighth in the Championship point standings, it became apparent watching all those years had taught him well.

Another Top 5 finish and another Top 10 finish in the three May events moved “Kid Rocket” and the Seubert Calf Ranches/ACE Metal Works/MCB Motorsports sponsored Mark Richards Racing owned No. 1 Rocket Chassis/Cornett Racing Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo into seventh position in points.

With school now done for the year, “Kid Rocket” could focus all his attention to racing. Heading for the Midwest in June, Richards tallied a Top 5 finish and a Top 10 finish in three events but lost a position in the point standings. Mid-June found Richards standing in victory circle at Ohio’s KC Raceway after winning a non-point feature event during the World of Outlaws Late Model Series two-day event. He had learned. The next test was passed.

Richards continued to learn as the series ventured to the Northeast, the Mid-South and the Upper Midwest gaining valuable knowledge while having respectable finishes which kept him bouncing back and forth between seventh and eighth in the Championship point standings.

After the third stop of another Northeastern tour in mid-August it was obvious that “Kid Rocket” had indeed watched, listened and learned during the season. Lebanon Valley Speedway was the site of Richards first ever win and first ever World of Outlaws Late Model Series win. Third test passed.

As the season wore on into September, Richards used solid runs to keep himself comfortably in the eighth position of the Championship points finishing just a few points from seventh.

When asked how he was feeling after earning the coveted “Rookie of the Year” title and an eighth place finish in the Championship points Richards stated, “I can’t really believe how well we did this year. I was focused the whole year. I did have a little bad luck. The middle of the season I wasn’t running too good and then the last part of the season we started to run really well and I finally won a race. It paid off for us and I’m definitely looking forward to having a chance to doing this again next year.”

Richards had a phenomenal “rookie” season with a feature win, eight Top 5 finishes and eighteen Top 10 finishes as well as being among the series leaders in fast times (2) and heat race wins (10).

Josh “Kid Rocket” Richards passed the final test.

2005 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Final Championship Points

Showing Pos., Car #, Driver, Residence, Entered, Starts, Wins, Top 5’s, Top 10’s, Fast Times, Heat Wins, “B” Wins, Dash Wins, Purse $ Won, Point Fund $ Won

8. # 1 Josh Richards® – Shinnston,WV: 39 – 39 – 1 – 8 – 18 – 2 – 10 – 2 – 1 - $69,810 - $48,000*

® = “Rookie of the Year”

* = includes $15,000 “Rookie of the Year” award

The World Of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to the fans across the country by several sponsors and partners, including series sponsors Hoosier Racing Tire and SPEED Channel. Promotional Partners include AMB i.t., RACEceiver, HUMMERSGONEWILD.COM, Zippo Lighters, and The University of Northwestern Ohio. Contingency sponsors include DART Machinery, MSD Ignitions, Wrisco Industries, and Quarter Master.

Back