2009 Hornet Tire Rules, Highland & Tri-City

ilhornetracer

I would like to suggest Highland and Tri-City change their Hornet tire rule from a minimum 60 series to 55 series? A lot of 4 cylinders come stock with 16" rims and 55 series tires these days. Might help those cars keep costs down if they didn't have to go out and buy 14" or 15" rims and 60 or taller tires to run. Sure, they could put a 60 series tire on a 16" rim but in most cases it would be too tall to keep the RPMs up. And again that is not a typical stock combo and you might have FWD clearance issues.

Not sure of the handling advantage from a 60 to 55 tire but the real objective is to give Hornets more tire size options, at a minimum cost, for their track size and gear ratio.

I checked some other IL/MO Hornet rules and a lot of them just say "no low profile" tires. That sounds pretty open to interpretation to me, guess it's fine as long as everybody knows what is considered "low profile". Anybody know what I-55 considers low profile? I consider 45 and 50 to be low profile and I think 55 and 60 are fairly common passenger tire profiles these days. I may be wrong. I tested my theory at a popular "tire rack" web site to see how many different tires they sell in each size: 205/60/14 = 5, 205/60/15 = 58, 205/55/16 = 163. Sure seems like that means there would be a lot of cheap new/used 55's available out there.

Anyway if there is enough interest it doesn't hurt to give it a shot at the rules meetings. Post your thoughts and ideas if you like.

Steve Jens
21j

I would like to suggest Highland and Tri-City change their Hornet tire rule from a minimum 60 series to 55 series? A lot of 4 cylinders come stock with 16" rims and 55 series tires these days. Might help those cars keep costs down if they didn't have to go out and buy 14" or 15" rims and 60 or taller tires to run. Sure, they could put a 60 series tire on a 16" rim but in most cases it would be too tall to keep the RPMs up. And again that is not a typical stock combo and you might have FWD clearance issues.

Not sure of the handling advantage from a 60 to 55 tire but the real objective is to give Hornets more tire size options, at a minimum cost, for their track size and gear ratio.

I checked some other IL/MO Hornet rules and a lot of them just say "no low profile" tires. That sounds pretty open to interpretation to me, guess it's fine as long as everybody knows what is considered "low profile". Anybody know what I-55 considers low profile? I consider 45 and 50 to be low profile and I think 55 and 60 are fairly common passenger tire profiles these days. I may be wrong. I tested my theory at a popular "tire rack" web site to see how many different tires they sell in each size: 205/60/14 = 5, 205/60/15 = 58, 205/55/16 = 163. Sure seems like that means there would be a lot of cheap new/used 55's available out there.

Anyway if there is enough interest it doesn't hurt to give it a shot at the rules meetings. Post your thoughts and ideas if you like.

Steve Jens
21j

Steve, I understand your point. But how wide is the 55 series tire? It must be a 7” foot print. Also, if Highland was to change its rule on tires almost every other track will still have the 60 series rule. Won’t that limit the tracks you can run to one? Just some things to think about….Rob

Steve, what you need to do is buy a saturn and break rule #3 at Tri City by swapping the tranny to an SL1 so gear ratio is not a problem. But putting on 50 or 55 series tires? Are you crazy???? Have you gone completely mad???? They must not be more than 7" wide or your face will melt and the sky will fall down!!! For the love of God!!!! Don't spray paint Hoosier on them either...this is a serious violation. Best of luck.

Steve, I think you are on to something. Many new cars or cars that have "sport suspension" packages from the factory run 55 series tires. ie. the Focus SVT, Carrola Type S, Civic Si, and Integra Type R. I think it would help the sport to be a little more of a "budget/intro" class.

Another thing I would like to add and will bring up at the meeting is some of the other rules that could help the sport be a little more competative and yet not allow alot of money to be sent.

1. For one the stock intake rule. If we allow aftermarket intakes and filters (not oiled filters) it would allow cars that lets say are purchased from a wreck and need to have the front sub frame rebuilt but someone doesn't want to spend the mass amounts of money the dealer or parts store would charge for a new intake. Many intakes are cheap and can be purchased for less then $50.00. Not to mention they usually only add at the most 5hp and 5ftlbs. Not really enough to do boost about and cause serious harm on the track. With the size of Highland and Tri-city it will be hardly noticable.

2. Suspension is another item that we could work with. How many times do you see cars push to the top side of the track cause they can't turn left. By allowing lowering springs. (No coilovers) this would allow a car to be setup to help it turn and reduce possible accidents (safety). Another thing would to make sure no one is running adjustable struts. This would allow for more adjustability but would throw out the budget portion. But not allowing these struts it limits what the suspension can do.

3. 25. No performance parts aftermarket or factory. Aftermarket or stock headers are allowed. (taken for Highlands rules) I think this rule can be expanded upon because of the cars I listed above. Not to mention what if a factory part is hard to get and an aftermarket one is easier to get. Many tracks in the area such as Mt. Vernon and Flora don't have these types of rules and many of these cars come from a large area to race here because of the rules. Not to mention how are you going to know if a car has had the motor sent out and blue printed, or a cam installed, or aftermarket valves?

These are just my .02 and am going to bring them up at the meeting. I think all the other rules are great and are important for safety and fun.

Thanks,

Danno

Danno, I believe everything you have said is in good intensions and rules will need to be changed and added with the evolution of this class. But if you allow more and more aftermarket parts every year then this class will go from a stock class to a pro-stock class. Yes it is hard to check the guys that do the valve jobs, the blue printing and aftermarket camshafts. But won’t it will be hard for them to get the full effects with the stock intake and air box. As for the guys pushing up the track, they do so because of the way they drive and they probably don’t know how to set up their car. I have raced with stock suspension for years. At first yes I pushed up the track just as the cars you are talking about, but then as I learned how to drive I would no longer push up the track. If anyone says they can’t get stock parts for less than aftermarket then they haven’t checked in enough places like junk yards and on the internet. Thats my 2cents;)

I can see your point. But I would limit the amount of aftermarket. And not even think about adding to the list. I am just giving more simple bolt on items and I know that alot of cars out there can be found at a junk yard, but they are also thinned sometimes to the point of no recognition. Also you can feel the effects of a cam and other internals with out going to an aftermarket intake. Yes it is minimal but possible. I would just like to have a couple more options other then stock and allow a little more freedom for adjustment and ability to compete. And yes as far as pushing that is all about seat time alot of time. I know I need more seat time on the dirt but have been driving FWD since i got my license. My main concern would be safety and fairness. Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Um wow... That is all I have to say to that. I have never run at Highland since I only started towards the end of last season but I have been to plenty of races there. I didn't see a whole lot of that other then guys that know how to drive around the corners get down the straight away faster. It is a fact of racing. Period!

Rob do you know Heather Cory? She told me today since I mentioned your name that I should meet you face to face. And that you are good guy that builds good cars that are safe.

I am not trying to start a bunch of crap. I would just like to run in the town I work at and only have to drive 20 min to get to. And there is always room for improvement.

Danno

Tirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestunafishtiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestiresttirestirestirestiresirestirestirestirestirestirestirestirestires

I know everyone is probably board with the cold and no racing. Thanks to Steve :)DHe’s always stirring the pot:D) this thread should keep everyone entertained for at least today and possibly a week. See you all at the rules meeting.:) Rob

I agree and can't wait to meet some of you.

Hornet Tire Rules

Man!!! Rob and Aaron, you guys hijacked this thread faster than a bunch of drunk Somolian pirates in johnboats. Seriously though, let's try to stay on subject here, I would like to know if the other hornet drivers support a tire profile change. If the drivers don’t support the change I don’t want to bring it up at the rules meeting. I think the 60 profile rule is outdated, and I would like to ask highland and Tri-City to change one number in their rules from 60 to 55. Or, change to "no low profile tire" with an understanding at the beginning of the year what is considered low profile. I’ve learned from past rules meetings if you don’t keep it simple, nothing gets changed.

Rob in ref to the good points you raised. I found a lot of 15" & 16" 55 series tires on the "tire rack" site with tread widths less than 7''. So I don't think that is an issue. I think in P-metric tires the actual measured tread width is based on several factors: section width, tread design (tapered edge or square), profile, rim width, air pressure and the tape measure operator.

Your point about other tracks is well taken, that is why I think we need to ask both Highland and Tri-City to change. I-55 rules already say “no low profile”, Mt Vernon does not specify a profile restriction and of course UMP only requires street tires. I will try to post other track tire profile rules tomorrow. I do not want people to have to buy different tires/rims to run other tracks.

Danno, thanks for your tire comments, I generally support keeping the class stock (Cheap!) unless it's a safety issue. Good to see another New Baden'er racing hornets. Hope to see you at the rules meeting. I won't go all thread Nazi on you like I did on those other two (they should know better). Bring your other ideas to the meeting. I would also follow and participate in other hornet rules threads, but I'm trying to focus on tires here.

The tracks should care enough about their racers to get together and come up with common hornet tire rules. Of course they don’t want us to go to other tracks on the same night they race. Rob you have been to as many tracks around here as anybody, do you think we could get them all to agree on a common hornet tire rule?

Remember this thread is about TIRE RULES if anybody wants to talk about engine rules, gas prices or Dancing with the Stars, start a new thread

Steve Jens
21j

Steve, Sorry about the hijacking:D and I have erased those posts. I’m with you on the tire rule needing to be updated, but would like to see the 7” tread pattern stay in place for obvious reasons. No matter what, guys running both 3/8ths and ¼ mile tracks will need two sizes of tires on different wheels. Also note that even though this is to save money, there will be people throwing out their old tires and/or wheels and buying new tires and/or wheels just so they can run the 55 series. Here are the rules on Mt Vernon’s web site; http://www.mtvernonraceway.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55 I don’t think they ever did post their rules for the 08’ season.

What Tires?

Here's a link about tire size(http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevylist/tech/tire_size_conversion.htm) Just a note for those thinking about running 16" and 17" wheels and 50-55 series tires.They don't like off road use,ruts,holes,ditches.You'll need a good supply of front and rear wheel bearings and strut rods,control arms,ask your insurance man.No tire side wall and your suspension will take a beating.As far as tire and wheel cost go 16" and 17" are almost double vs 14"&15".On a side note I'm thinking about running 13" wheels off a Metro,LOL See Ya at the meeting!Mike Z

Back