2011 Memorial weekend

DirtSurfer

07 Vintage Champ
Staff member
Gateway Vintage Racing Association heads into an exciting 2011 Memorial Day weekend.

Due to the May 20 rain out at Doe Run Raceway, and a reschedule for May 27, we will now see a Double header for the holiday weekend in Missouri's "Leadbelt" region. May 27 Doe Run(MO) Raceway will see vintage racing action before the GVRA rounds out the weekend with their May 28 invasion of the St Francois County Raceway in Farmington MO.

This will be our first visit to the area this year, as well as the first track time GVRA will see for the 2011 season. Up to this point, it's been such a wet spring, we've suffered the wrath of Mother Nature for every show. According to the major weather reports, it looks to be a dry weekend headed our way... Throughout the remainder of the 2011 season We will be returning to Doe Run raceway on the third Friday of each month, and will hopefully see action at least once more at the SFCR track on August 28th.

On a personal note:
I look forward to visiting these two tracks the most: As an inaugural track champion...DRR is what I've considered to be my home track since it's creation, I also work at this track on our off nights. SFCR is also special to me: As the first track I visited as a kid, the first track that i ever turned a lap on and my Saturday night home for several years while I was growing up... I am always excited to return to it; wish we had more events there, but I appreciate what they've given us!

This weekend will be the first racing I've done since losing my Grandfather. He was a big fan of my racing, always wanting to know how we did, and always swinging by the garage to check out what we were up to...like a Grandpa should I suppose. I'm really missing him...like I should, I suppose.

He never fought in a war, and probably didn't sacrifice enough to make any major waves in the world. He wasn't famous, probably not even in his small town. He worked on a train, and drove a truck most of his career. No medals, few awards. But it didn't matter to me. I was his "son" and he was Grandpa and that's all that I needed him to be. Always kind hearted when he shoulda been, but a little bit mean when he needed to be... he taught me how to fish, let me sneak sips of his beer, and instilled a love of travel in me that has inspired my journeys. He got me in trouble by letting me be a boy...but bailed me out when i was learning to be a man.

So this weekend while everyone is waving the flag and celebrating the lives of many special people who have died for our country; and others who have passed while paving the way for us...I'll be remembering my hero. You won't see him sitting in his lawn chair underneath the tower watching over us like he always did, but I will.;)

Back