305 CID sprints discussion on Indianaopenwheel.com

I read this post at Indiana Open Wheel, the guys over there are missing the point of this class. They are trying to compare the 305 to a fully built 410. Which I agree would be stupid.
The beauty of the 305 class at Doe Run is 3 engine rules
1 flat top pistons
2 550 lift camshaft
3 STOCK cylinder heads, the real answer is in the heads, the stock 305 head will not breathe well enough to make high RPM which means you do not have to spend 20K on an engine that is set on kill and ready to explode. I think there was only 1 engine failure (that I'm aware of) and it was a part failure.
I really think this class should grow with the rules that are in place, I have also heard that Lebanon is going to switch to Saturdays which should help with car count.
Looking forward to next year.
Jeff Palazzolo

I think the class is a good class to, though there needs to be a rule change to car weight... the cars are too heavy and it will pay havoc on the parts on the car, from drive line to suspension... Lower the weight go for like 1475 lbs which would be a hundred pounds more than a 360 that runs aluminum heads

I am not certain there is a problem with weight. As far as I know there was not a suspension or driveline DNF @ Doe Run last year, when we start getting light weight it add$ money to the racecar. The nice thing about this class is you do not need titanium gadgets to get light. (expensive)
Although there was not a high car count last year, most cars were equally competitive with very few mechanical issues. I think the formula is just right, although it is just one mans opinion
Jeff

Lowering the weight to 1475 lbs. would bring Doe Run more in line with most of the 305 tracks and series. (i.e. 34 Raceway in Burlington, IA or the Mid American 305 Sprint series.)

Brandon
I saw the Lebanon deal and that is too bad.:mad:
I looked at the rules for both of the sites you listed, and the engine rules are not in line with Doe Run either.
There is no limit on camshafts and both of those orginizations allow head modifications, which as I stated earlier, is the key (in my opinion) to the budget of this class.
Again just one mans opinion.
Jeff

Yup, The rules @ Doe Run are just fine the way they are.... Our car usually went across the scales @ 1740 and we didn't suffer any drive line or suspension failures,and neither did any of the others. Also why would we want a different head & lighter weight rule when what we have is working just fine ????
I ran midgets for years and the light weight trend put a lot of small midget teams out of business,The light weight stuff is costly and is less durable period.And as far as the heads go I really don't want to have to spend a lot of time and money when what I have is as good as any of our competitors, Butttttttt if they did change the head rules I would work my butt off to have better ones than the next guy :eek: same goes for the weight deal... Be relistic, Doe Run is never gonna draw cars from Burlington Iowa, Indiana ,or Midway for that matter. Just ain't gonna happen and if we did have a special show and some of those guy's showed, it would be simple too equalize em by making them bolt on some weight and run say a d25 on the right rear and that little red dirt race track would take care of the rest of it.:D

I think from a spectator / announcer point of view (i have the best seat in the house) that the 305 class at Doe Run is AWSOME the way it is. I go around and talk to all you guys in the pits and I believe you have all said that this class is FUN, AFFORDABLE, and has CLOSE COMPETITION.

I do not make the rules, nor do I have any say in the rules, but MY OPINION is that the class should stay the way it is. This past racing season has been amazing watching this 305 class. I LOVE IT!!! The racing is always close, you ALL are talented drivers, and with the rules currently set in place, it is easier for someone to move up and get started in the Sprints.

For example, Howard, you told me one night that you have LESS in your car than you had in your 600cc car that Josh drove in '06, and you ended the season with the Track Championship. That is AWSOME that you can move up into a bigger and faster car and spend LESS money. (way to go Champ!):D

Jeff, we are going to see Peter in a 305 Sprint in '08. If they went to new lightweight and head rules, that would be more $$$ going into Peter's car to make him competitive. Would you still be financially able to put his sister in the Multi next year?? (i appologize for not remembering her name)

Tom Harris, i was in shock when he told me how much was in his car...NEXT TO NOTHING!!! And he was still very competive, picked up a feature win... I think there was a couple Go-Karts that cost more than Tom's car.

With the low costs of the current rules, the cars were always bunched up, always a close race, several different winners (unlike going to SFCR and watching the same 3 cars winning all the time).

I think new rules would hurt this class. I absolutely love this class. Give it time to grow, and look at the car count in a few years, then have a meeting and see what the drivers want to do. It's way to early to go trying new things with a new class. Keep it affordable and draw more cars. Let INDIANAOPENWHEEL do whatever they want in INDIANA. Just my opinion, sorry for rambling.....:D Mike

For example, Howard, you told me one night that you have LESS in your car than you had in your 600cc car that Josh drove in '06, and you ended the season with the Track Championship. That is AWSOME that you can move up into a bigger and faster car and spend LESS money. (way to go Champ!):D

And remember, that wasn't even an Outlaw (multi) class car that Josh won that track title with. It was a stock class car, with a tiny 10 sq. foot top wing, stock motor, hard right rear tire, no wing sliders, etc.

I was just wondering,how much on average do you guys spend on a motor?I talked to a guy that runs 305 and he said he had $10,000 in his.
If that is the case you might be interested in the FASTRAK series. It will start up in 08. The motor is 358ci,550hp for $7,800. Might me something to look at.

I was just wondering,how much on average do you guys spend on a motor?I talked to a guy that runs 305 and he said he had $10,000 in his.
If that is the case you might be interested in the FASTRAK series. It will start up in 08. The motor is 358ci,550hp for $7,800. Might me something to look at.

Long block including machine work.all internals,gaskets, cam & valve train/roller rockers.. and assembled in my garage....$4,500....

I
For example, Howard, you told me one night that you have LESS in your car than you had in your 600cc car that Josh drove in '06, and you ended the season with the Track Championship. That is AWSOME that you can move up into a bigger and faster car and spend LESS money.

Boy don't be confused....:D Those micros will run circles around those 305 sprint cars. But they don't sound as KEWLLLL..............:D:eek:

Back