305 Sprint Rule Changes

Doe Run Raceway

Staff member
Engine and Drive Train:
6. Flywheel and starter optional, but recommended. If using flywheel and starter, the flywheel must be fully enclosed if mounted behind motor plate. Flywheels mounted in front of motor plate must be enclosed at top and both sides. Motor must remain in front of uprights.

Cars without starters cannot be push started in the pit area and may only be started on the track by track officials.

Tires and Wheels

2. Hoosier SC25 tire on right rear required.

I can agree with the starters, but...

Why are we limited to one tire now? Wouldn't it more economical for us to open up the rule? There are alot of tires out there that were previously used at tracks and in organizations (that have gone to the SC25 this season), we could be picking those up alot cheaper than buying new SC25's or waiting til a few weeks into the season until the SFCR cars start throwing out there used ones...:confused:

305 sprints

I agrie With Dirtsurfer , foe the best intress of the class to make as enxpense as possible. Good luck to all that will race 305 sprints At DoRun.

i'm thinking about giving this class a shot. anybody know how many drivers have committed to racing this class this year?

Okay, thanks Bob.

Hey Ziggy, I have heard of probably half a dozen for sure. I'm sure there are more than that out there. I would expect a dozen for the first year.....then lookout! lol:D

ok, thanks alot for the info. i guess now it's just decision time lol. I would really like to run the 305 class since my fridays are free and Sat. are for SFCR

Bobby...I think that before you go changing more rules, there needs to be a meeting with those of us who are ALREADY committed to do this...
The reason I am saying this, is because I know we have lost one of our potential cars due to the starter rule being changed...and probably a second car as well.

It is too close to the season start and some guys have now wasted money on the starters and setup work to install them. The other reason is because the lack of a flywheel opens up the back of the motor for the cam driven pumps. Pumps that shouldn't be used in this class....if we are going to keep the class low dollar we need to disallow. We did our homework on fuel and steering pumps to work with the starters/flywheels in preparation for the rules the way they were written and everyone else should be following the same path...even if they aren't willing to put a starter on them! Cam drive pumps will just open it up so that they are asking for wing sliders next...;)

Should have went with the stock type motors like they are running in Texas.. Close that can of worms before it gets out of hand.. Its already out of hand, and too costly.

YUP, Kinda tourqes me that I spent a substantial amount of money on a high quality starter system just to find out 4 weeks before racin season that I don't need it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "BAD CALL"
oh well guess it'll make it easier to start it at the shop................
And the tire deal,sheeeeeesh, I now have a pile of right rear tires that are useless wich is gonna force me to have to go straight to the tire truck the first night and buy 2 brand new sc25's. I'm not opposed to buying tires as I would have bought 1 new right rear any way,but as it stands now I gotta buy 2 just to start the season.........

Should have went with the stock type motors like they are running in Texas.. Close that can of worms before it gets out of hand.. Its already out of hand, and too costly.

Jason, it isn't the "motors", it is a deal whereas some don't want to spend big money on a starter system....problem with this is that you don't have to spend big money on it! A 1990 Chevy truck starter/aftermarket gear reduction starter, a 153 tooth SFI approved flywheel some scrap tubing and a stick of flat steel stock is all you need to put on a starter on that WILL start a 10.5:1 engine. You don't have to move the engine, and some chassis don't have to be modified to do it either. But some people don't have a clue on how to do something without throwing money at it....

I sorta understood saying the starters are an optional item to keep from turning away a cars from other areas, because I think that would be bad business. HOWEVER, the class already had a rule book written for it and some people had already set up cars for it as written. I can even go along with it for someone that has a shoestring budget and has to decide between a new helmet or a starter....I'd rather they were safe!

However, I think that if it is to change there needs to be an additional rule written into it that keeps ALL pumps under the hood. None driven off the back of the cam. Then we need to freeze the rulebook for two years(unless we want to adopt LA Raceway's tire rule:D )

This class is supposed to be low buck and racetrack friendly (by eliminating the need for half a dozen push vehicles). Two reasons that attracted several others and myself to it....

rule changes

randy,
sorry if i am making anyone mad, but i did some checking about all of this and found out that the rule from other tracks did not reflect that you could run without a starter. the info i got was most were not running the starters anymore because of problems with them. also tire rule same as it was 105/18/15 it is my fault for rule mix up sorry......

ok, thanks alot for the info. i guess now it's just decision time lol. I would really like to run the 305 class since my fridays are free and Sat. are for SFCR

Does this mean you are still running your 410 Car at Farmington and putting a 305 Car together at Doe Run?

randy,
sorry if i am making anyone mad, but i did some checking about all of this and found out that the rule from other tracks did not reflect that you could run without a starter. the info i got was most were not running the starters anymore because of problems with them. also tire rule same as it was 105/18/15 it is my fault for rule mix up sorry......

Thanks for the reply

yeah. it's hard to race your "own" car when you bankrupt yourself on someone else. don't forget what number that car was that i bankrupted myself over. just because i'm broke now and can't help doesn't mean you can treat me like a piece of sh** now. I ain't Barton.

Back