355 losing oil pressure and getting hot

MC64

when I first start I have 50-55 # oil pressure after it warms up in a couple laps at about 205 degrees I only have about 5-10# pressure at idle and 45# at 5000 rpm. any suggestions before I tear down an engine with only 5 nights on it ? Thanks, Paul:confused:

losing oil pressure and get hot

It is running where it should be,my husband that used to be a car race driver told me to tell you that you can put a high oil pressure pump in but he does not knwo what oil you are putting in. You have a cooling problem.

I am running valvoline sae 50 oil. I am losing quite a bit of water out of my overflow tube though. I am not using a thermostat. I put an aluminuim spacer with a hole drilled in it instead. Do you think the hole may not be large enough?

First off..how big is this......hole?? I usually go with a 1 inch hole..and..go from there. You running stock pulley..or..reducers?? And...fan blade..what kind and how many fins. Also..good fan shroud..and..recheck your timing..i see alot of motors get hot just because they are 3-5 degrees too fast..or..slow on timing. What kind of carb and jets you running. Id check a plug..check to see if its running lean..another problem. As far as the oil pressure deal...might be low just cause its hot(i would double check your temp gauge...sounds like it might be getting lil hotter than you think). If you have access to an infered temp gun(i have one..if your near east alton,,,you can borrow it) It will tell you exactly how hot she is. Another issue...what kind of radiator cap you running...on a race motor..even street stocks..you need a higher pressure cap or yes..it will blow out water...alot of water. Let me know..thanks

I enlarged hole to 1 1/4. plugs are burning clean. running stock 4412 jets, 72 i beleive. Aluminuim pulley and 6 fin racing fan. I am going to changes all my guages today because they are all old. We are making a new shroud also because fan is only inside about 1/2" and it has alot of gaps and small holes in it. I borrowed infared temp at track and temp on headers was almost 500 on all cylinders.

what size and what kind of rad. one row two row brass or aluminium? could use a little bit higher cap like 24lbs. plugs running clean? does this mean white or slight color?also how hard are u turning it?

Plugs are ash to tan. I dont know about oil pump. Engine was built and put in right before I bought car.

MC64 said:
I enlarged hole to 1 1/4. plugs are burning clean. running stock 4412 jets, 72 i beleive. Aluminuim pulley and 6 fin racing fan. I am going to changes all my guages today because they are all old. We are making a new shroud also because fan is only inside about 1/2" and it has alot of gaps and small holes in it. I borrowed infared temp at track and temp on headers was almost 500 on all cylinders.
Ok..the shroud...you want to go to the edge of the fan...any closer to the motor...it will actually hurt you. Id jet her up...72's i know is lean...no matter what. I would get an asst of jets from a parts house..id start with 82's(i usally run 86-88's) but i run a 550 lift cam and 11to 1 pistons. 500 degrees..sounds little high..probably due to lean. Try that..let us know.

Also..yea..a higher press cap..24psi..and the fan should be a metal one..not one of those aluminum flex fans.

Thanks to everyone your input has helped alot. She is topping out at 190 degrees now and oil pressure at idle at 190 degrees is holding at 35 at 800 rpm and 70 at 4500 rpm. I made thermostat housing hole 7/8". Put a racing water pump on. Adjusted Valves and put new fan on. New oil pressure and water temp gauges. {know tach quit working,go figure.}
Put in fresh sae50 oil and filter. Then ran the piss out of it up and down our road{glad it's a private road,LOL.} I think I need to use a shorter oil filter becuase i can barely get my fingers between filter and headers and i am going to jet up to 82, my cam is also 550 but i'm 10 to 1 comp.

Thanks again your input is greatly appreciated, This is my first year running at 42 years old and to me the more we help each other the more fun we will have no matter where we race. Thanks, Paul #64 pure street at farmington. :)

Anytime..hope it cures your issues. And.yea..run a shorter filter...the header will just heat the oil up more. Good luck

Back