$40,000 Up for Grabs: U.M.P. TRI-TRACK CHALLENGE (June 2-4, 2006)

michelle

4th ANNUAL U.M.P. TRI-TRACK CHALLENGE RETURNS WITH $40,000 WEEKEND

MACON, IL (May 5, 2006) - For the fourth consecutive year, the promoters of three popular Midwestern speedplants are hosting the "U.M.P. Tri-Track Challenge". The Tri-Track Challenge consists of three consecutive $10,000-to-win events at a trio of dirt tracks in Kentucky, Missouri and Illinois during the June 2-4th weekend. Adding to the excitement of the nation's best dirt late model teams competing for $30,000 in winnings, a hefty $10,000 bonus is also up for grabs to any driver who can claim two of the three main events.

National stars, regional standouts and local hotshoes will converge at the Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and Ken Schrader-owned Paducah International Raceway to kick off the 2006 Tri-Track Challenge. The 3/8-mile, high-banked track conveniently located off of I-24 in McCracken County, KY, has recently undergone numerous upgrades to the track and facilities that both spectators and competitors will recognize and benefit from. The new PIR will host their first Tri-Track event on Friday, June 2nd, as a prelude to their U.M.P. Summernationals' event slotted for June 29th.

Teams will then caravan to the Show Me State for another Ken Schrader-owned facility - the 1/3-mile highbanks of I-55 Raceway. The Pevely, MO, track is located 30 miles south of St. Louis on I-55 and boasts an impressive pedigree of weekly racers and special event winners. I-55 Raceway has hosted all three previous installments of the Tri-Track Challenge and each event yielded a different winner. Shannon Babb, the winningest driver on the circuit and only driver to ever nab the $10,000 bonus, won the inaugural event but Indiana's own Don O'Neal stole the show in 2004 and Jimmy Mars from Elk Mound, WI, took top honors last year.

Back on the schedule for the third year, Vermilion Co. Speedway in Danville, IL, will host the 2006 Tri-Track Challenge finale. The 3/8-mile semi-banked facility is now promoted by a renowned duo in dirt late model racing - Bill Nelson, Director of the Northern Allstars Late Model Series, and veteran track and special events promoter Bob Sargent of Track Enterprises. National touring veterans Billy Moyer and Don O'Neal both claimed Tri-Track victories at Vermilion County, will they continue their reign or will we have a new winner in 2006?

A sampling of competitors tentatively committed to a partial or full 2006 Tri-Track Challenge tour include: Shannon Babb (IL), Jimmy Mars (WI), Jeep Van Wormer (MI), Earl Pearson, Jr. (FL), Brian Birkhofer (IA), Darren Miller (IL), Brian Shirley (IL), Dennis Erb, Jr. (IL), Randy Korte (IL), Rodney Melvin (IL), Kevin Weaver (IL), Terry English (KY), Kevin Cole (IL), Billy Drake (IL), Ryan Dauber (IL) and Billy Faust (IL).

Additional information including gate times, schedule of events and directions will be available on each track's web site. Will Shannon Babb continue his stronghold on the tour and repeat with another bonus run? Will the young guns pack enough heat to duke it out with the veterans and visit victory lane? And which local racers are going to stand strong to protect the bragging rights of their home turf? Please mark your calendars to join us for an exciting weekend of door-to-door, mud-slinging racing action in this three state showdown and find out for yourself!

2006 U.M.P. Tri-Track Challenge Information

Friday, June 2, 2006
Paducah International Raceway
Promoters: Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Ken Schrader and Bob Sargent
Track Phone: (270) 898-7469
Track Website: http://www.paducahinternationalraceway.com

Saturday, June 3, 2006
I-55 Raceway
Promoters: Ken Schrader and Ray Marler
Track Phone: (636) 479-3219
Track Website: http://www.i55raceway.com

Sunday, June 4, 2006
Vermilion County Speedway
Promoters: Bill Nelson and Bob Sargent
Track Phone: (217) 443-6588
Track Website: http://www.vermilioncountyspeedway.net

Past U.M.P. Tri-Track Challenge Highlights

Segment #1 - Vermilion Co. Speedway, Danville, IL
Fast Qualifier: Dennis Erb, Jr. (IL)
Dash Winner: Dennis Erb, Jr. (IL)
Heat Winners: Roger Long (IL) and Michael Bradley (IL)
Feature Top-5: Shannon Babb (IL), Darren Miller (IL), Kevin Weaver (IL), Brady Smith (WI) and Jimmy Mars (WI)

Segment #2 - I-55 Raceway, Pevely, MO
Fast Qualifier: John Vandenberg (IA)
Dash Winner: Billy Drake (IL)
Heat Winners: Shannon Babb (IL), Billy Faust (IL) and Jeep Van Wormer (MI)
Consi Winner: Jim Shereck (MO)
Feature Top-5: Jimmy Mars (WI), Darren Miller (IL), Shannon Babb (IL), Jeep Van Wormer (MI) and Billy Faust (IL)

Segment #3 - Tri-State Speedway, Haubstadt, IN
Fast Qualifier: Don O'Neal (IN)
Dash Winner: Don O'Neal (IN)
Heat Winners: Randy Korte (IL) and Rodney Melvin (IL)
Feature Top-5: Don O'Neal (IN), Dennis Erb, Jr. (IL), Darren Miller (IL), Jimmy Mars (WI) and Rodney Melvin (IL)

2003-2005 Tri-Track Challenge Feature Winners
Shannon Babb = 5 (3 - 2003, 1 - 2004, 1 - 2005)
Don O'Neal = 2 (1 - 2004, 1 - 2005)
Billy Moyer = 1 (1 - 2004)
Jimmy Mars = 1 (1 - 2005)

$10,000 Bonus Winner(s)
Shannon Babb (2003)

I was just wondering what kind of format they will be using for this event. I heard they might us group qualifying and will all three tracks use the same format whatever it is?

Trust me, people. If you have the time, and the money, catch all three of these races. It does entail some long drives, especially to Vermilion County Speedway, but all three tracks offer up some excellent racing. I've done it for the past two years, and haven't been disappointed yet!

Thanks moonflow! It definitely draws a great blend of national travelers and awesome regional standouts each year. With Summernationals having a new format this year, the Tri-Track is a bit of a preview other than Summernationals is doing group qualifying. Personally, I am a fan of group qualifying since it's a compromise between the long overdrawn process but gives a fair shake due to track conditions. Bob Sargent has been strongly opposed in favor of passing points because it not only makes people race their way in through a fair process but saves a lot of wear and tear on the tracks as well as time so people do not have to sit in the blistering heat for 2 additional hours.

As for the latest update...

Countdown to the Tri-Track Challenge: 14 Driver Spotlights

Driver 1: Shannon Babb
Driver 2: Jimmy Mars
Driver 3: Earl Pearson, Jr.
Driver 4: Brian Birkhofer
Driver 5: Jeep Van Wormer
Driver 6: Darren Miller
Driver 7: Randy Korte

Double Post...

Another full release will be forthcoming next week with the final verdict on format, gate times and additional info but looking forward to three awesome shows so hope to see y'all there!

Back