97 yamaha 125 question

jevs

I just bought a complete 97 Yamaha yz125 motorcycle. I plan to use the motor in my shifter kart. I called the dealer and they said a 97 is a 6 speed. I don't think the dealer knew what they were talking about. I think mine is only a 5 speed. I have not ridden it or anything yet, but I only seem to click through 5 gears. Does anyone know what years are 6 speeds and what years are 5 speeds? If mine is a 5 speed will this work ok, or shuold i just sell the bike and try and find a 6 speed motor? The bike was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up either way. I was just gonna use the motor and part the bike out and probobly have the motor for free when I am done. The motorcycle is complete and in good shape at this point.

Thanks

the motor will work fine,if it is a five speed,there isnt much difference in it and a six speed does not matter as you can gear a five speed to run with a 6 speed.that will be a good motor to do some work to and use,put some reeds,a pipe,port the cylinder,mill head and throw a piston in it and you'll be fine with it ..

I just got it home. I put some of my good Banshee gas in it, pumped the kicker a few times and it fired up! I rode it around the block a few times. It is a 6 speed! Woot. He sold it to me for $650. I am a happy camper :) I should be able to part the rest of the bike out for that much. Anyone looking for a good 97' YZ125 minus the engine? :D

Back