Article in the BND about Belleville Closing

I sent the statement to the Waterloo Republic-Times and the Monroe County Independent for them to do stories on it, too. Hopefully we can generate some enthusiasm with all the people that "used to go to the races years ago" but don't any longer. I hate to see this track close, but I totally understand Donnie side. It's just a shame. I think I'll go drink.

Sad thing it is not just about losing a dirt track. Go ask the managers what is going to happen to their sales from Friday evenings, April to September! ASK what they will lose out, Hardees, Denny's, McDonalds, the BP station and the Shell station! They will be losers in this, too with the loss of revenue they generate from people that visit the track on Friday nights. It will effect their sales, from before and after the races! The is a no win for a lot of people!

While I'm not exactly Donnie's biggest fan, I know the effort, time and can only imagine the money that he has spent to make things work at Belleville. I really hate to see this happen. I know that he and many others have busted their backsides trying to make this work. Hopefully they can make things work out where they are beneficial to all those involved.

Ralph Wiltrout
5W

Nice article. hopefully it gets some fires started.
How old is that picture? lol 2005?

i dont remember seeing any of thosre names on the sponsor billboards they could have stepped up a little and maybe averted some of this.

Sad thing it is not just about losing a dirt track. Go ask the managers what is going to happen to their sales from Friday evenings, April to September! ASK what they will lose out, Hardees, Denny's, McDonalds, the BP station and the Shell station! They will be losers in this, too with the loss of revenue they generate from people that visit the track on Friday nights. It will effect their sales, from before and after the races! The is a no win for a lot of people!
Not only that but the track workers will lose income, plus all the vendors the track uses will lose sales. Things like fuel for the trucks and equipment, disposal service,local radio and newspaper advertising, all kinds of suppliers from food and drinks to office supplies. A lot of businesses will be negatively affected if the track closes. The area will lose sales tax revenue because of the loss of all those sales. That doesn't even take into account the income the fairboard will lose.
Any track that is running SLM is probably spending $18K-$23K a week by the time you add up all the costs. A promoter needs ticket, pit pass, concession and sponsor revenue to have a chance at making any money, let alone a fair return on their (high risk) investment.
I guess the fairboard would rather have all of nothing rather than part of something.

I put something about that on my facebook page. When Godfrey closed there was a huge resteraunt just across the street that closed down. Gas station closed down. Several businesses close had to cut staff or closed down. Some high horse people donot realize that a racetrack can actualy help a city even if its run just one day a week. Sad.

Back