At Cms, Wofc Sprints Are Discontinued After Eight Year Run!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
<B>2004 Weekly Race Program To Still Carry Four Big Classes; Hobby Stox Fill Gap!</b>

by Tom Wilson-pma
Thursday, September 25th, 2003
Warrensburg, Missouri

After eight straight years of putting on a great show for the fans at Central Missouri Speedway in Warrensburg, especially for the open-wheeled crowd, the Winged Outlaw Four Cylinder Sprint cars have been dropped from the weekly program for this coming 2004 season. The announcement was made to the sprinters at the final race night of the 2003 season.

"They turned in some very good competition runs at our track since they started running here in the mid-nineties," reasoned track owner and director, Earl Walls. "It was a hard decision for me to make, but after two consecutive years of having low car counts, and with the newly popular Hobby Stox on the rise, I finally had to make the judgment to let them go. We need to get back into another affordable class of cars to help more people find a way to get started in motorsports.

"A lot of the drivers they started with a few years back have now moved to other levels of competition, and their cars, which started out 11 years ago as an affordable open-wheeled class to get started in, has continued to become more expensive to compete with. It really was hard for me to make this decision, because I drove midgets for several years in the late 80's and early nineties. These guys had some great performances, and they scored more non-yellow flag features by far over any other class here," Walls further explained.

Hobby Stox, a relatively new division of race cars in the midwest, will be filling that gap in the four-class, CMS weekly racing programs. The 'Stox' are by far the lowest investment in today's novice classes, made up of the easy to find and relatively inexpensive front-wheel-drive passenger cars. They must be nearly totally stock, with approved safety factors with very few modifications allowed. Most racers who built their mounts this past season and were successful in their events said they had about eight to none hundred dollars invested in the cars.

After starting with a bang in this area at LA Raceway in Lamonte, Missouri, the new class rose from 6 entrants on the first Friday race night last year to 37 by the season's end. With CMS now offering the same class in which to compete on Saturday nights, only 20 miles away, many of the local drivers now have a second place to race.

For rules and regulations regarding the new Hobby Stox class, simply send an E-mail to askcms@msn.com .

To stay tuned to CMS' constant news about the popular 1/3rd mile, high-banked clay oval during the off-season, log-in frequently to: www.cewntralmissourispeedway.com .

Back