Bad Push, any suggestions ??

mod27

I have a swing arm car with Z-links.
Car is fast when working right, but lately on dry slick the car has a bad push in it.
You can turn wheels and it will go straight, i just about have to stop it to turn.

When i try to take it out, then the car gets too loose on entry.

It has:
750 LF 850 RF
325 LR 300 RR

shocks: 75 LF 76-2 RF
93 LR 93 RR
I tried a 93-5 in heat race last night and made car real loose on entry. (spun it out)

I had 160 LR bite with driver in car, 55% left side, 58% rear

swing arms: top hole on chassis on left side
Bottom hole on chassis on right side
Pullbar in middle hole on chassis and set to the left.
short panhard bar mounted on left side of chassis and left side of pinion. (ive tried moving it up and down on pinion but did not help)

Any suggestions or ideas how to get push out put not make car real loose is appreciated.

I just dont know enough about these swing arm cars to get it right. Its either too tight and pushes or too loose that its hard to keep car under me.

I am no set up expert, but I think you have too much left and rear weight %, that would create a push. Also, try swapping your front springs, that should help. Too much LR bite also. How much stagger do you run? Try about an inch in the front and 2" in the rear. Just my opinions.

Yes..58 percent rear percentage will cause a car to really push..unless the chassis can handle it. Try putting more weight on the front mainly in the center..should help alot..get it around 52-54 percent. And yes..like jimmy asked..we could use that info too..to help you out. Thanks..mike

Sorry..just any car i have seen set up..or set up myself..and ive been taught by the best...told me under no cirumstances with a 3000 pound plus race car..to run over 54 percent rear weight due to the fact the car wont be able to tranfer the weight properly going into the corner..like putting blocks on the back of a gocart--frt wheels cant steer properly. Now..onna modified,late model..something that has the horsepower to do more with torque vs. weight transfer method..go for it. Sorry if i am wrong..just what i was told..and have seen in the 14 yrs ive been hanging in garages.

push

i always thought if you were pushin on entry that you needed more stagger in the front,and when pushing on exit you needed more stagger in rear.also i am with extreme on you percentges..
also i have a question that nobody else asked,how many turns did you have in your weight jacks in front?and what air pressures were you runnin.

Ok, just got off the phone with a chassis expert who ill not mention..ok..he said..58 percent is ok..if the car will handle it..but..for a basic to start out setup if you cant get it to turn..take some of it out. Down to 54 percent..and also said to play with your rear shocks..shouldnt run the same shock on both sides. Front springs may need to be spread out a little more as far as rating. But..we do need some more info..such as stagger..ect. to give your a better answer. If you need to talk to someone..pm me..ill give you his number. Thanks..mike

lol

add 4 lbs in the left front and drive it in harder!.....or....transfer 2% up off the rear,car is hooking to hard to transfer!

Lotta remedies depending on ur style of driving,,,tire preasures...lots of different factors!

A high left side weight percentage will loosen a car on entry not tighten it.
A high weight split on the left rear (160# in this case) will also loosen the car on entry. The right rear tire is what holds the back of the car on dirt tracks.
I think the car has too much rear percentage. A car like that would be very hard to drive because if you dont apply the right amount of throttle at the right time the rear tires are gonna bite too hard and push the front end up the track, then with all the rear percentage it would be very hard to get the back end around again.
First thing I would check though is any suspension binds (bent shocks, radius rods hitting frame or rear end, etc.)

Terry Chester.

He sold the roller and got a different chassis. Mod27 bought a used Raider swing arm chassis and took it to Batesville.

ok..but.read above..2 other people recommended decreasing rear percentage..all i was saying..it would be a start. otay? And i did make a few calls..before opening mah mouth. So..not like i am guessing. True..i dont know everything..but i do know lots of people..and..as dale suggested...need to set the car..to the driver also..good point. But fine extreme race cars..ill keep my dumb opinions to my self from now on sir.

First thing I don't think your opinions are dumb. And I don't have a problem if you disagree. I have set up cars for many different kinds of drivers at several different tracks. Have built and setup both modified, sportsman and bomber cars. Have I learned all there is to know? Nope I learn something new every time I go to a race track. You can take or leave what I say. I will however help any one who asks.

Well..thats fine..you seemed to have singled me out in what i said..thats why i replied what i did. It was not an opinion..this was info coming from 2 other people who i trust in their information..and thats all it was. If 58 percent worked out for the B5..go figure. But 99 percent of the 3100 pound race cars..it probably wont. Especially if you have a hard..aggressive driver. Terry also made some good point about left side weight. And chassis components..but also goes to show..lots of things to consider in this situation-I was just trying to give the guy something to try. I wont ever do that again..trust me. Signed...Mike tha dumb post guy

Back