Bar angles 3 link

mod15

mod15
looking for some info on seting up a 3 link rear suspension. I have 19 inch long lowers center to center a 21 inch torque link at a 17.5 degree angle and a short panhard bar 17 inches center to center mounted to a pinion plate. What angles should I start with on the lower link's and the panhard bar.

Hmm, are you sure you have equal length trailing arms on that? I'm not second guessing you, but to get any roll steer out of that you are going to have to exaggerate the angles to get the steer and the bars are not going to appreciate that. Normally a longer right bar and shorter left bar are the norm. If you were to run the left bar down(hill to the front) and the right bar up, you will be roll steering the car to help get you into the corners (assuming the rear is square at a standstill) I lead my RR by 1/4 to 1/2 in.(and am roll steering the car about 3 inches and found it to be suiting to the shorty PH bar. I also had a shorter lr bar and a longer rr bar. Mounting locations effect the dynamics of rearsteer too. I can only give you info on the combination of the long short bar, but the idea is the same. You want to put enough angle in each to accomplish the rear steer. Check your wheelbase lengths and adjust according to the track and conditions. Then get to chasing the bar angles. Play with it and adjust them at home, see how much you are rear steering the car, jack it up and try to simulate the pitch, then measure your wheelbase again. This is not an exact science (the way I am telling you to do this) but it is a visualization of what the car is doing on it's own. If you want more on how to do this, PM me and I can give you a lot more info on how to check this stuff. As far as the panhard bar I hear not to run the bar over 10% of its total length. So a 17" bar should not be run over 1.7" (personally I did it and found no catastrophic failures) rake measured from mount to mount. Downhill from the left rear looking in. Hope this helps. Like I said, if you need some more help with this, give me a shout.

Back