Belleville Thoughts May 3

Trashdog

I was sitting around the house and started to get the shakes, 2 weeks without seeing race cars. Nooooooooooo it can't be true, I saw a few cars at Tiffany's Hair Handlers on Saturday, but it just wasn't the same.

Belleville is racing, hmmmmmmmmmmmm I jump in the car and make the trip over.

There are lots of race cars in the parking lot, this is always a good sign. Ron McQueery is here, Brad White, Donnie Wren, Paul Bauman, Big Ed, Mark Oller, Paul Bauman, Iorn Mike Hammerle, Troy Naeger, Ray Walsh, Roger Fohne, Brian Eves, Dirt Hound, but no Don Klien. He's was still out with knee surgery. It just wasn't the same without Don.

The Bomb Squad put on a decent show I thought, they had a bunch of them. Mindy Wagner in the 63 rolled it in hot laps and was able to return to racing later.

There is a little black 95 S10 truck of Randy Dietzelthat runs a V6 that is bad fast. Randy also won his heat and ran 2nd in the feature.

The bombers were very entertaining, kind of wish they ran them at I55.

Aaron Milton in the 441 won a heat race and the dash.

Nathan Schmitt edged out Jason Davinroy to win his heat. I'm not sure what Jason Davinroy has under the hood but it sure don't sound like no bomber engine.

The semi was won by 110 Tim Haeffner.

Jake Hewitt won a heat and the feature for the bombers.

The sportsmans also had a lot of cars Dave Grzywacz won his heat and the feature?

Brian Eves got into an early heat race accident and mashed his front end pretty good.

Chris Smith looked pretty good winning his heat and the dash.

Lonnie Casey won his heat.

Chris Sale had a good run 2nd in his heat and 2nd in the feature.

Dennis Tribout Sr. won the semi.

Troy Naeger and Paul Bauman didn't look quite as smooth as they do at I55, I don't think they quite got the handle of running a really small track yet.

The number 147 of Kyle Stolzer looked pretty good too, for a new driver he seems to be picking it up pretty good. He's doing much better than when I saw him opening night at Fredricktown.

In the Modifieds Marty Smith Jr. triple crowned, heat dash and feature.

Stu Springer and Chris Gray won the other 2 heats.

Ray Walsh got knocked out early in the evening, he got into a wreck in turn 1 and 2 with Todd Ferber that sidelined him for the evening.

Todd Ferber had a rough night, hit the tire and the inside wall in his heat and then didn't have much luck for the semi.

Brad White showed up with his B-Mod to make sure the car would work right so he can go back to Montgomery County and be competitive again. The car worked pretty well, if he'd had a 4 barrel carb. he may have made the feature.

Roger Fohne didn't have much luck the entire night, just didn't seem to have the car right all evening.

Donnie Wren seemed to have problems with the ride height of the car, it kind of reminded me of a 1972 Monte Carlo with the air shocks pumped all the way up. The car looked really tall including when it was standing still. Don finished 4th in his heat and 14th in the feature.

Todd McGraw looks like he's getting the hang of his modified, he looked real smooth finishing 3rd in his heat. In the feature he didn't have any luck and finished in 12th.

Bob Bittle didn't appear to be handling well all night. He finished 3rd in his heat and 9th in the feature.

Dean Hoffman had tough luck too, he spun in his heat, won the consi and took the high line around to a 7th place finish.

Stu Springer won his heat and was 2nd in the dash and 3rd in the feature. Shame he didn't win it, I promised C.J. I'd go on the front straight and dance with them. I have no sense of shame when it comes to that stuff....lol

Big fight of the night happened after the Modified Semi. From what I was told Bobby Johnson and Todd Ferber had an altercation in the outside pit area. I figured something was up when I saw Ralph Joseph run up the banking and jump over the gate.

Ralph earned his presidential badge for physical fitness with that display of athletics.

Bob Kiser went along as well. Nothing breaks up a fight faster than an ill tempered tow truck driver that likes to fight...lol

The late models put on a good show as well, the feature was fantastic with a good duel between Jim Salter and Ed Dixon. Ed on the high side and Jim down on the bottom for a good portion of the race before a late race caution came out. On the restart Ed was able to pull ahead and once he did he took to the low side to protect the pole.

Ed won his heat, it was actually a pretty good race, there was a wreck in the early part that found Dallas Bennett sitting on top of Ed Dixon's car. On the restart Ed was able to power around on the cushion to pass Ken Rumble, Mike Schulte and Rick Salter

Frankie Martin won his heat and the dash but had bad luck in the feature.

Mark Oller had bad luck all night long. In his heat, he and Kenny Helmick decided to do a little bumping and grinding. I think there was a small dispute over track position. In the feature Mark was sitting in the turn 2 inside wall with Ken Rumble and Gary Haynes to keep him company.

Danny Haynes had a lack luster night, he had an 8th place finish in the feature, not sure about the heat race.

Mike Hammerle had a good run in his heat with a 4th place finish and then he finished 6th in the feature. He ran strong in the feature and appeared to have enough to get around Mark Faust but ran out of time.

Matt and Dick Taylor had good runs, Matt won his heat and was 4th in the dash. Dick was 2nd in his heat and 3rd in the dash. Matt finished a strong 3rd but Dick appeared to miss the setup and finished in 7th place.

Ken Rumble finished 4th in his heat and then just had nothing but bad luck in the feature. He was credited with a 16th place finish.

Ron McQueery didn't have much luck either but did a good job of spraying mud all over the Allied panel truck after he got stuck in the mud during his heat race.

Rick Standridge won his consi and had did a good job of working his way through traffic to a 9th place finish. I hear he's been a top runner at Belle-Clair this season.

Eric Smith from the Farmer City area also made the trip down, not very much luck for him. He was 10th in the feature, I guess he's not used to little tracks?

Billy Laycock totaled his car out in the 1st heat race, he said he got some help but I missed seeing who gave him the gentle nudge.

I'll post some pictures on here later once I get off from work, they're either mine, or Mike's or Jimmy's or C.J.'s I'm not sure anymore.

John Barr
The Trashdog

Oh yea, I forgot, Jimmy was robbed he made it in tiime to run the semi but Ralph wouldn't let him. Seems Ralph doesn't like the victor Jr. intake, the 4 barrel, the brinn transmission. They should of let Jimmy race, half the time the secondaries won't open on his 4 barrel anyway...lol

Mean old Ralph following the rules again!!!

John Barr
The Trashdog

Trashdog

Great report... Almost felt like I was there. :) Instead I was at home getting ready to go BOATING :eek: :D ;)

Back