Big Problem!!! Need Help!!!

kRaZiE

K.D.C.S.
I put my Bronco on here a while back, and now a couple days ago, i've encountered a problem. I got in and fired it up, and it died, (average cold natured 4bbl) no big deal right? I hit the key again, now it will crank and crank, but it will not fire. I've bought a new coil, ignition control module, voltage regulator, and still no fire. I've checked the distributor cap and rotor bug and everything seems to be in great shape, I'm lost!! Anyone have a clue what it could be?? This is pi$$in me off. I've not had a problem with it, i put it up for sale or trade, and now this. It's got a BAD-***** motor (429) in it and its killing me not being able to run it. CAN ANYONE HELP?????????

??? don't know. Is there a way I can check that by myself?? I don't have anyone around to help me. I guess I could pull the cap off and ark the selonoid. Or would that be a safe thing to do???

Come On Mike Dont Be Skerred. Hey Ill Come Over And You Hold The Coil Wire Wile I Crank It. Youl Definatly Know If Your Getting Fire. Lol If You Need Any Help Let Me Know.

Look at what position the rotor is pointing. Tap the key and recheck it. See if its changed. Or..jump the firewall solenoid to activate the starter.

I pulled the cap off and looked at the rotor bug. I put the cap back on and hit the key. then pulled the cap back off and the bug had moved.

Krazie,
Give it a shot of starting fluid and try again. If it dont start then check for spark.If its got fuel and fire and still don't start then it prolly is a timing issue. If it is a timing issue manually turn the balancer by hand one way first.Then pull the cap off and turn the balancer the other way and watch the rotor.If it takes a long time before the rotor moves you prolly have a bad timing chain and it jumped time.

Rich

AHHHH another victom of the blue oval syndrome!!!

First off, what yr bronco? Next, 3 basics that make a motor run, fuel,fire, and time. loose one,and it stops..... first,pull the coil wire from the cap,(I like to use a test light for this, but other methods will suffice)place wire about 1/4 inch from ground (any piece of nearby metal other than fuel lines)and turn the ign switch to run position. go to your solenoid, and jump the small("S")terminal to the larger one with all the wires on it (Battery). If it sparks, then you have fire to the cap. (If so, pull a plug wire, and repeat). next,if not, check for power to the coil first,if ok, possibly a pick up coil. (were pretty common in the older fords) Next,fuel,check for fuel, pump accelerator and look down carb,If it sprays into carb,should probably be ok.....if not,try firing on ether or carb cleaner,if it runs then find fuel delivery problem.(Pump, f/pump cam, restricted line?) Time or timing can be checked by putting the timing mark to 0 and see if your rotor lines up w/#1 plug wire if not, spin it around another turn and see if it does, if not, out of time...... Its a ford, the list goes on............. hope this helps, just a few things to check.......Good luck,Greg

sorry I just noticed 429???? disregard (all but checking for spark and how to check if it is in time)previous post. w/a electronic ign check you have same color grommet on ign box and good grounds. if no fire, try a pickup coil(common problem). Check fuse links near solenoid. Does the carb squirt gas when you pump the accelerator???if not,try ether or carb spray if it runs, fix fuel delivery problem....Greg

Back in Action!!!!!

Thank you all for your input. We got her going, and she's better than ever!!!
Thanks again!:D

Well,

the pickup coil inside the distributor was bad, and I know nothing about them, So I bought a new one and had a guy pull the distributor apart and replace it. (cause I would have just tore $h!t up). Tomorrow morning she'll get fine tuned and get new Header gaskets, oil change, fluids changed in front and rear end, tranny, and t-case, then go to the muffler shop for exhaust. (noticed one of the flowmasters has a hole in it where they welded the hanger to it, pretty small, guess they burned through it.) Wash and wax, and pull the top off and enjoy this nice weather for the weekend. (before mother-nature starts pms again):eek: :D

Back