Billet rods for 2004 season?

billet rods

i think it would be a good idea for all tracks to go to the billet rod.it would save on blown motors and it would save also on motors being refreshed.our redline motors are using the 7200 rpm cam in them and about every four races are having to come down and have new rods because the stk rods just wont hold up to the abuse.i been wanting them to run billets forever and hopefully now they will.good day!

if you have to turn the motors that hard something if wrong cause that is alot of rpm's for a stock motor.i don't know what the cost of the new rods are but unless everyone in the midwest is going to the billet rods then it would just be a another cost for the people that race all over.i have never had a problem with blowing motors so it should probly be addressed by the track owners but i know we have already got out motors back for tulsa and most people would have to send motors back to get that rod put in so i don't think it would be a good idea.

billet rods

ok first things first.there is nothing wrong with our engines as far as having to turn 7200 rpms.doesnt matter weather we tun 6800 or 7200 they are still strong,but they pull alot harder and farther at 7200 but understand you also gotta have a chassis setup to where it will handle that rpm power,if you want the edge over the competition it is to get the motor at higher rpms and get the powerband up there in the same range,and also keep the chassis hooked up to where you can manage that high rpm and extra power.the billet rod is the best thing for these stock class engines.you will be able to run alot more rpms and create a little more power and not worry about hurting the powerplant.also you spend 50 bucks for a stock lenght arc rod for a stk class application and turn 7500 rpm all day long and and the rod itself last three times longer at that rpm then a stk rod.the other good side of the rod is when you refresh the engine you keep the same rod and just replace the rod insert bearing and away you go.the arc rod is thirty dollars more than stock,but you only buy one and replace the bearings when you refresh it,the old stock rod when you replace it you have to buy a hole new rod so in the long run it is alot cheaper and in the beggining it only cost 30 bucks more but you gain more potential to turn more rpms,longer engine life and cheaper refresh rates.now to me i know what way i would go,the billet rod way.good day!

Billet Rod

This sounds like a great idea,I've had 2 rods go through the block,1 ruined,1salvagable.What has WKA-IKF decided to do ??If they don't go along then the tracks shouldn't either.You'll have to have 2 different motors built to race at the different events.:confused:

rods

the cost of the billett rod in the long run might be the way to? but the weight of the rod is going to slow you down. as far as turning a motor 7200 rpms, i have never turned a motor over 6400 and my son is no slouch in the lite or medium class at bedrock

The following semi-local tracks are all allowing them for next season:
Peoria, IL
Princeton, IN
Crawfordsville, IN
I know there are some others, but I can't remember them now.

They were legal at Beaver Creek last year already since they use the BNSS rules.

WKA has been dragging their feet on this for too long....that's why so many tracks are allowing it as an option.

The best part is there is no performance gain, if anything there will be a slight loss because of the weight as 20racer said. So those still wishing to run a Briggs rod won't be at a disadvantage. Thus, 34gfmf, there would be no reason to send your engines back to get a billet put in, unless you wanted more reliability.

rods

billet rods are a little heavier,but not so much that they dont give a performance gain.we have as well as many engine builders do plenty of dyno sheets with billet rods pulling more horsepower for the simple fact you can pull more power out of the engine with that rod.there has been quite a bit of power that could still be pulled from a stock motor but us builders havent been able to twist it out due to the stk rod not holding up.to me the billet it the way to go,as for turning 6400,you aint turned over that cause that is in the range where your engine makes good power,its in the powerband...none of these motors are the same,we have some that make better power at 6500 then at 7200,just depend on the block and parts and settings of cam and timing used in that particular engine.only thing i was gettin at is we have a combination that we have come up with that will pull more power then any motor we ran this year but we havent been able to use it due to a stk rod it just wont hold up,so im a big fan of the good rod,not only to be able to get big power,but cheaper in the end.

rods

wka statement on the billett rod is they are looking into it they wont be used in the 2004 racing season but will be used in the 2005 season . the rule issue is a problem because there are to many billet rods that are different lengths for stock use.

billet rods

there are alot of different lenght rods for stk application.i been thinkin about this and heres what i come up with.i say wka says that we all have to run the stk length and stroke arc rod.and make it the spec rod.

ARC has a program for tracks that are going to allow billet rods.
http://www.arcracing.com/billetok.htm
They have also lowered the prices on their stock length billets.

I personally don't see the big deal about whether WKA allows them or not. None of the local tracks are WKA sanctioned, so we are not Required to use their rules. We should just use them as a guideline, and make improvments where needed.

Hey andy are those titanium rods you use legal :D I know on restrictor motors billet rods hurt you, our engine builder dynoed a motor with a stock then changed to a stock billet and lost some bottom end power. But on the other hand he says youll get alot more reliability out of it. The only motors we are having a billet rod put in is our asphalt motors, since we broke two last year.

redline i have a question for you and i just have never talk to dennis about it really cause i try and stay with the same motor every year but i know that you can put different cams to come in at different rpm's but why do motors with the same everything in them run different at different rpm's like i have one motor that runs good around 6400 and another one that likes around 6600 but no higher.i would say that the billet run will make its way across the country.thanks for the info on the motors.

motors

34fmf,
the reason that two motors that are identical will run different is because there are none two that will come out the same when they are done being built.for one the blocks are totally different.some have better castings then the others.blocks with better castings will flow better and create more power then one with more crappy castings.also i would check to se if your two engines are identical with your builder,they may have the same cam and all that but have different spring pressure,coil bind,and cam degrees.....that alone will make two engines that are identical run totally different.i will tell you this right now.the cam and carbeurator are the key to gettin real power out of a stk class engine...

missouri drifter...
you are right about the restricted engines,that is a totally different ball game when ou stick a billet in them,it takes a really complicated combination to make it work and work right,in my eyes there is no need for a billet in a restricted because the plate cuts alot of rpms and poweer down,you can easily make a stk class engine turn 7700,but you'll never even come close to seeing that in a restricted engine so there really wasting a billet puttin it in a restricted engine,they do fine with stk rods..

i like the aftermarket rod idea i dont see why its such a big deal with wka on this issue

but i disagree about most motors pulling harder at such high rpms my son and myself both won the points race this year at two different tracks turning less than 5700 rpms its all in the cam you use if you want power rpms is not the answer

just my thought on it but we have had a new race motor break a rod that cost us 300 dollars to fix the motor

50 to 75 bucks for a good rod i have no problem with that when it could save you alot more:) :)

rods

i never said an engine that turns more rpms creates more power.these engines create more power when you get them in the powerband by using different cams and settings.some engines run good at low rpm cause that is the powerband the cam is setup at.some engines run good at high rpm cause thats the way they are setup with the cam and settings.we build both low rpm engines and high rpm engines.bigger is not always better,but in this case with our new combination the bigger rpm is deffinately better in our case......

what i am getting at with this hole deal is that redline has come up with a combination that turns tremendous rpm for stk engines and pulls more power and awesome torque then any engine to come out of our building..we took cam blanks and had our own cam made,and it revs in the 7 grand range,and starts pullin hard at about 4200.we ran this same engine a few times this year and it really performed well,and proved to be a monster whenever it was out.we just couldnt make it reliable to build for other poeple for the simple fact that the stock rod wouldnt hold,thus is why we want the billet rods to be used cause we ould make our combination not only reliable for the customer,but also very strong and different from any other engine out there.

it all comes down to the billets are a great cost efficient way to go,it no big deal,i am all for it.....

Back