Bobby Hartslief on UMP

Tire Rule

It sounds like every track can choose there track tire rule. Hopefully everyone can band together for a tire rule like 20-40 or 40 all 4 corners

To be perfectly honest, I find the ammount of change industry-wide to be unsettling. Then again, change is difficult and is often met with sketicism and negativity. It's human nature. Having said that, Hartslief has said on more than one occasion that DIRT does not believe in change simply for the sake of change. I was very impressed with his comments on local racing,
"One of the major reasons we took over UMP is because of their weekly sanctioning organization that we have. Because that is the grassroots. That's where the strength is, and it has to be a trickle-down effect to those tracks. If they are not successful on a weekly basis, the sport's dead. Doesn't matter who you've got racing on a national series."
The question is how to ensure the success of the weekly tracks. I believe one of the keys lies in the definition of a few ideas. "So we don't plan to do anything with the UMP Modifieds in the short term." What is the definition of short term? 5 years? 10 years? 1 year? What is the plan to control costs? DIRT in the Northeast is now experimenting with crate motors for their support classes. Will that be an option they look at here in the midwest? And what of the astronomical costs of fielding a late model on a weekly basis? That line of thinking is kind of what led me to my Econo Late Model post the other day. It seemed to be a pretty good time for the local speedways, as far as car counts and competitiveness were concerned.

One thing I see happening is more of a comittment being asked of the local racer. By this, I'm talking about a system similar to the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series, where racers and crew alike had to purchase memberships in order to compete. The reason I envision this is partially due to a caller who asked, "Will DIRT Modified drivers be able to drive at non-DIRT tracks?" Hartslief's answer: "Again, from where we stand, if you want to be part of a situation where we paid out at the DIRT banquet, I think we paid out $295,000 of the points fund, by the way, to the DIRT Modifieds. Our belief is if you want to participate in that pot, you've got to have a certain ammount of loyalty back to the series.If you're gonna, uh, not have that loyalty, uh, we're not sure why we should have the same loyalty back to you." And really, If the stakes are that high, why wouldn't loyalty be a big issue? If I were investing that type of money into a point fund, I certainly would want some guarantees.

I was equally impressed by his referring to the benefits of buying in bulk. Everything from insurance down to concessions could be bought at a discount if a large enough purchase were made. That is a major selling point, in my opinion. Will it be enough to convince racers, promoters and fans to support DIRT Motorsports? Time will tell, and I look forward to finding out the answer. I really look forward to next week's show with Craig Carmack. There will also be more announcements to come on January 14th at the Area Auto Racing News show in Philadelphia.

voigt30 said:
It sounds like every track can choose there track tire rule. Hopefully everyone can band together for a tire rule like 20-40 or 40 all 4 corners

How about 55's for Late Models, H's for Modifieds?

Thanks Doug. You have good insight no matter what some may say! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigt30

Originally Posted by Doug:
I personally like the 40's or 55's idea.

Times you'd run 10's you can just run 20's. Times you'd run 30's you can just run 40's. So where will guys be saving? I don't think the 20-40 tire rule is gonna save guys that much.

I don't trust the man,or if he knows what he is doing ,trying to compare the dirt cars to F1 he better not go with a open tire rule for the world or dream

My biggest issue with this..is they seem to be dodging exactly what they will..or wont do to the classes late models and mods. Anyone know what a DIRT mod is? Expensive as heck..and noone around here builds them. Not to mention the local guys having to buy their chassis. Its a money issue and will once again squeeze more and more people away from racing every week. And thats the big picture..once again..changes cost..memberships cost..how much more cost measures can the average Joe racer handle..before he just says..tha heck with that crap..ill go fishing..then the car counts go bust. And it will happen..if they have their way. I think the local tracks..need to just get their own rules..unify them..put up a good purse..good points fund..and the heck with them if they want to continue racing with a good show of cars.

racin90 said:
My biggest issue with this..is they seem to be dodging exactly what they will..or wont do to the classes late models and mods. Anyone know what a DIRT mod is? Expensive as heck..and noone around here builds them. Not to mention the local guys having to buy their chassis. Its a money issue and will once again squeeze more and more people away from racing every week. And thats the big picture..once again..changes cost..memberships cost..how much more cost measures can the average Joe racer handle..before he just says..tha heck with that crap..ill go fishing..then the car counts go bust. And it will happen..if they have their way. I think the local tracks..need to just get their own rules..unify them..put up a good purse..good points fund..and the heck with them if they want to continue racing with a good show of cars.
couldn't agree more

And i couldnt agree that you agree more...lol. Thanks..just tellin it from a guy who pays for every single piece to his car that he runs...and sits when the pot goes dry.

Use the UMP rules for a basic guideline, but offer some budget alternatives, (Steel Blocks, Crates) much the same as TCS did last year and thrived.

I think TCS proved very well that a sanction is not necessarily needed to have a successful weekly racing program. In some ways, not having one is a benefit.

racin90 said:
I think the local tracks..need to just get their own rules..unify them..put up a good purse..good points fund..and the heck with them if they want to continue racing with a good show of cars.
I agree! Its kinda what I replied on another post.

RACE39 said:
Sanctioning is just a formality, you don't need it. Just run the rules.The point fund for local weekly sanction championships isn't all that.
Tracks don't have to buy into any sanction. They could just use the rules(ump or imca). That way tracks could be unified, but not have to put up with any sanctioning body holding thier hand out to line thier pockets.

If you think about it, how many guys in the STL area(from b-town to mont co.- from godfrey to i55) really give a crap about UMP national points???? Maybe 5%????? Most just buy a membership to get the newsletter to keep up on things going on.

t.nie said:
Use the UMP rules for a basic guideline, but offer some budget alternatives, (Steel Blocks, Crates) much the same as TCS did last year and thrived.

I think TCS proved very well that a sanction is not necessarily needed to have a successful weekly racing program. In some ways, not having one is a benefit.
I couldn't have said it better!

Thats great for racers w/ 4 bar cars and people that blow there tires off but what about the rest of the drivers that run other setups and driving stiles ? Some of them don't hurt 20's in a feature. 20-40 is a good way to go it gives some flexiblity.

The UMP Late Models rules for 2005 are posted on www.umpracing.com and they state 20 and 40 only for weekly event. The 10s and 30s can be used at the beginning of the year and then there is a cutoff for their use. Read the tires rules and that will explain were UMP is going.

Assuming Eldora goes with one of the DIRT Motorsports series for sanctioning, I would look to the statement: "I think as you move up and you move out of the weekly racing and into, say, regional series, you might then find you have 3 or 4 options, and certainly if you get into a national series you can have whatever works best at that particular facility."

Doug said:
One thing I see happening is more of a comittment being asked of the local racer. By this, I'm talking about a system similar to the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series, where racers and crew alike had to purchase memberships in order to compete.

I stumbled onto this article posted earlier today called The DIRT Exodus.

Attention given to paragraphs 4 & 5.

Back