Brake question

67jrpm

I traded for a modified during mid season, the car has floor mounted brake and clutch pedals. The problem is intermittently the front brakes will not work, soft pedal which feels like air in the system. I have eliminated the brake gauges, swapped master cylinders, replaced both front calipers, and installed a 2 psi check valve at master cylinder. The problem will occur at any given time, backing out of pit stall, staging line, or on the track. The brake fluid is not boiling and I do not get any air out of the system when bleeding it. Anyone ran into this concern? I am thinking of trying to install a top mount pedal assembly. Thanks.

top mount assy. would be a good idea. did you bleed them manually? also try using a vacuum brake bleeder that uses a hand operated vacuum pump at the caliper, no pumping the pedal required, also when bleeding manually make sure to move your brake bias to the end of the car you'er trying to bleed.

If the master is lower than the calipers, try using what they call a phoenix injector bleeder tool. anyone who does many ford hydraulic clutches may have one, I believe they're pretty pricy though. What it does is instead of bleeding from the master out the bleeder, you hook it to the bleeder and push fluid out the master cyl. You could also try removing the calipers and let them dangle as low as possible(with the bleeder on top of course) and let them gravity bleed. If you pump the pedal 1 or 2 times do they work? if so, do the rotors have excessive runout? could be pushing the pistons back and by pumping the pedal 1 or 2 times it would take up the slack. hope this helps Greg

Thank you guys for the input, the brake lines are steel. The rotors are not warped or have excessive runout. I have not tried bleeding the system in the way which you described. That sounds like a very good idea. I have bled throw out bearings on chevy pick ups in a similar manner. Thanks again for the help.

Back