BULLETIN: HOBBY STOCK class ELIMINATED at SFCR

Millsey

I received this information as of 5 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 22..

FARMINGTON, Mo. -- (Nov. 22, 2003) Track promoters at the St. Francois County Raceway have announced that the Hobby Stock class will be eliminated for the 2004 racing season.
"We eliminated the class due to declining numbers this past season," said SFCR promoter Larry Minkel. "It also appears as if others might be leaving the class to go to other classes next season."
Minkel said there are no plans to add another class to the SFCR lineup for 2004 which will include the Winged Sprint Cars, the IMCA style Modifieds and the 600cc Multis.
Minkel also stated that pit passes for the 2004 season will increase from $20 to $25.

It impresses me that a track eliminates a class and then raises pitpasses $5.00 . This is one heck of a Welcome back home. Oh I almost forgot, I have a new home @ Montgomery County Speedway. Mel , officials, and MCS fans , I thought I would be gone to race at the track that I raced at for 15 years, but I was wrong. I hope the other SFCR Hobby Stocks will follow me to my new home track. I know MCS will welcome them like they opened the door to welcome Harris Motorsports in 2003. I wish Farmington the best of luck and THANKS for eliminating not 1 but 2 classes that I enjoyed . LOOK OUT MCS , HERE WE COME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The"Hustler"

Well they say one of the reasons that they eliminated the class was that the numbers had declined, what do they expect when about 7 years ago a guy could triple crown and bring about $315 and now all they can bring home is a ****y $250! The cost of the cars have gone up along with the pit passes but the money has dropped! Don't know where Eaton Motorsports will race next year Montgomery County or Pevely. As far Farmington goes it is probably a blessing in disguise because all they care about is the sprint cars anyway!!!!!!!:mad:

what about

Since the pit passes are going up and a class has been axed, will general admission go down for the fans? only seems fair. Less entertainment should = lower ticket prices.

What Is Going On Here

I am totaly dumb-founded by the decision of the track owners at SFCR for getting rid of one of the most popular classes of cars for the fans to watch. Not all are sprint fans. This has made my decision alot easier about what i will be doing on Saturday nights, Watching The District !!!!!!!! Cut a class and raise the prices DDDAAAHHH does that make sence ?????????

Not wishing anyone any bad luck, I am aware that the hobby guys are not happy with this and I feel for them guys, but if they are not going to run the hobbys I wish they would put something in its place such as pure streets or mini stocks. They need a cheap entry level class so we can get high school kids interested in this for our next generation of racers.

Larry told me, face to face, if we keep our current car count, we don't have any thing to worry about, and we did. You can't jump the gun and cancel a class just because some are moving into other classes, because other drivers will buy their cars. I've been wrestling with the decision about what to do next year, and now the choice is clear for us. Some of the things S.F.C.R. did in the '03 season leaves you scratching your head. Still wish all the drivers there good luck in '04. I hope with the increase in pit passes gets passed along to the drivers, but I doubt it will!!!!

Chuck Adams.

The Hobbystock class at SFCR has a lot of good drivers in it , that put on a great show week after week. Now they have to find a different track to race at??? They probably add another sprint car class.:mad:

Good!!!

They have been underpaid for years. Now they can go to a track that appreciates the crowd they draw, and pays them more. Pevely, and Fredericktown, look out!! I think they need a name change too. They should be a limited sportsman!!

:rolleyes: This, and other issues, should make for some lively discussions at the awards banquet. - An awards banquet for which I can find no public posting of the complete points standings for all the classes. :confused:

Its a Sad Day For SFCR!!!

First off I have to say TO ALL that have ever been or was in the Hobby Stock class at SFCR. THANK YOU for the GOOD Years at the racetrack, You are the ONES that are in it for the LOVE OF THE SPORT!!!!!! I have been watching this class of cars for 13 Years, and every nite was full of excitement. What Pis$$'s me off the most is that these PROMOTERS, don't know how hard it is for a blue coller working to bust his ***** for 10-15 dollars an hour, pay his bills and put a race car together. They think your making money when they hand you that $250.00 check at the end of the nite. Hell, he doesn't realize that it cost ya $100.00 for that new tire you put on to win that feature, the $50.00 in fuel to put in your car to make it to and threw the feature, the $50.00 it cost you to get into the races, plus you have to eat, drive to the track and who knows what else. OH did we make some money tonite????? Get a grip guys we dont own our own companys and make the big bucks to run sprint cars, if we did we sure as heck wouldn't be at your rinky dink race track. I Feel sorry for the Modified guys, cause ya know that your the next ones on the list, and like Chucka said if he tells ya your NOT, his word, sure ain't one you can take to the BANK!!!! And If i was a modified guy I think I would go experience some more tracks that way you dont have to count on this one to always be there. And I've been to a few ones myself, there are alot of nice tracks out there that care about there fans and there drivers, they don't require you to have a WING, to participate... Well thanks all for letting me vent my frustation. I don't feel much better, but maybe once racing season starts and we find our new homes it will get better.

SO SFCR HAS NO BEGINNER "STOCK CAR" CLASS?:confused:

IF IT IS FOUND TO BE A BAD DECISION, THE HOBBY STOCKS NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE THEY RUN RIGHT BACK...J/M/O

The following is for informational purposes only:

Tri City Speedway's sportsman class (which I understand is close to a SFCR Hobby Stock) will be paying $35 to start and $400 to win (based on at least 15 cars at pill draw- $300 if 14 or less). We'd love for anyone interested in racing with us in 2004 to attend our 2004 registration meeting - 1:00 P.M. - SUNDAY - JANUARY 4, 2004 at the KC hall, 4225 Old Alton Road in Granite City.

Rules can be downloaded here.

typical

I was told that they are eliminating the class because there were not enough cars in that class to keep them. Well that is a bunch of crap, i dont know what race the promoters are watching but the street stocks i watched at sfcr had plenty of cars for a good show. If i was them i would dump the mini sprints nobody stays to watch them! And it just figures that they would raise the pit pass, im not even going to start with that but im sure it was minkles idea.

It has always been tough for us to drive south on highway 55 and pass up I-55 Raceway in Pevely to watch the Montgomery brothers chase each other around the track at SFCR. However, we did it anyone way to support Chuck Adams and the Adams Racing team.

It appears that 2004 will be a shorter trip with much better racing, although I am not sure what Chuck is planning, I am excited about watching some of the regions best racers at one of the premier dirt racing facilities.

Just think, had it not been for SFCRs decision my family would still be traveling to Farmington to happily hand over 100-150 a week to watch a non sanctioned track struggle through another season of mediocre racing.

Jim Webb
Webb Brothers Racing

Back