Cam set up in chevy 350?

bolo

Anyone know What would be the biggest cam you can use in a stock 350 Chevy without having to do any work on the valve spring seats? I don't mind adding heavier springs. Just don't want to do any work on the seats if I don't have to. Thanks

I know that PBM makes a replacement spring that is good to .600 lift. Its a Z28 style spring. I have had good luck running them. Just make sure you change them yearly.

I know that PBM makes a replacement spring that is good to .600 lift. Its a Z28 style spring. I have had good luck running them. Just make sure you change them yearly.
Seems like 600 would cause some major binding without working on the spring seats?

That was the spring spec. I ran them with a flat tappet .572 lift cam. Never had any problems. Just make sure to get good retainers and locks. I ran them on 487, 882, 441, 186 and 461 castings with no machine work.

With that cam I would probably use a new stock spring. I've always had problems with those .600 lift 1.250 springs breaking the dampers over time. You need to really watch it with those springs because the rate can be excessively high for a flat tappet. By the time you get enough seat load the open load gets out of sight.

With that cam I would probably use a new stock spring. I've always had problems with those .600 lift 1.250 springs breaking the dampers over time. You need to really watch it with those springs because the rate can be excessively high for a flat tappet. By the time you get enough seat load the open load gets out of sight.
So I probably would be better off just to buy the cam and get a new set of springs instead of wasting the money on the kit with their springs?

So I probably would be better off just to buy the cam and get a new set of springs instead of wasting the money on the kit with their springs?

Not necessarily but many times you'll find that the "kit" springs or those recommended in a catalog have much too high of a rate and thus too much open load for long term durability/street use as this cam is intended. For long term durability I'd shoot for about 100lbs seat and 240 open load with the low quality lifters and oils that are available today.

Not necessarily but many times you'll find that the "kit" springs or those recommended in a catalog have much too high of a rate and thus too much open load for long term durability/street use as this cam is intended. For long term durability I'd shoot for about 100lbs seat and 240 open load with the low quality lifters and oils that are available today.
Makes good since think I may very well look at that Thank you

Back