Car problem: has trouble starting at times

stifenhowk

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thread because I didn't see many "These are my symptoms, what's my problem???" kinds of threads. But alas, I have a question and this is a forum I'm comfortable with...

Ok, so I got a new (never before owned) Civic from a dealership in May. Over the course of a few months, I've noticed something that has concerned me. Every now and then (once a month to once every other week) the car has trouble starting. It grumbles as if it's going to start but it just continues grumbling without ever catching. After a couple of seconds, I stop, twist my keys again, and it starts with no problem.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if it's a battery problem or a starter problem. The reason I presume battery is because I work (literally) less than a minute from my house driving. I remember hearing that the battery recharges while you drive or while the engine is on. However, my car's engine is on for no more than 2 or 3 minutes. My average week consists of me just driving to work and home and maybe having an extended driving period over the weekend. Could this be a problem? Since I developed my theory, I've been driving an extra minute around the block just to give my battery a chance to charge.

Another possibility I'm hearing from people (with slim automotive knowledge) is that it's the starter. If that's the case, then I would think me driving very little has very little effect on the starter.

Thoughts?

when diagnosing electrical problems, always check power and grounds first!!! in this case, check the battery. it really could be that simple. a couple of minutes a day charging aint gonna cut it. take the car to a professional shop and have it checked. if it's good, but just dicharged a bit, take it on about an hour long drive at highway speeds. keep 1 thing in mind; an altenator's job is not "i repeat not" to charge a battery; it is to keep a fully charged battery fully charged, and to run the vehicles accessories under high demand. an alternator will charge a low battery for awhile, but if you continually ask that out of an alternator, it will overheat and fail. you may get a couple of different opinions about this, but this information is from the people that build and design automotive electrical systems, so i tend to believe them.

I'm sure there's still a warranty in place if you bought it new in May. That's the advantage of buying a new car, it's the dealer's problem for 3 yrs or 36 months minimum, and maybe longer for some cars/items on the car.

Back