Carl Edwards Late Model Car

Dixon Fan

Dirt is in...asphalt out
Does anyone have any photos of his dirt car when he raced in the area before going big? Reason I want to know is maybe I saw him race and didn't even know who he was. I'm a Rusty Wallace Fan and always will be, but after this year when he retires I need a new driver to follow. So I decided to stay local and go with Carl Edwards. He is the most down to earth and coolest guy out there. Good Luck Carl!!!

Dont think he ever drove a dirt late model except at a couple special shows. I think he was a mod guy.

I know that he raced at callaway about 2001 or -02 he was mostly a mod driver. he did race a limited late mod. but i'm not sure that he raced a super late mod. Good luck on finding any pics. I will keep a look out. There are a few guys around here that raced with him. Maybe they have something?? He is a great driver and a real nice guy. Good luck carl!!!!

Carl raced one of Dean Hoffman's cars three years ago at the belleville fair week show. I know that because Dean, Darrell and Carl were all three racing that night. Darrell Hoffman was racing the 16 of Janeke's and dean had his bellevile car and carl was racing his backup car. We do still have his buisness card from when he was at I-55 looking for a ride before he caught on with Mitler bro's. He asked to drive our 35 car but since we were having problems that night we had darrell drive it for us to see if he thought it was an engine problem. By the way his buisness card does say "If you are looking for a driver" LOL

Al

i know once he raced at pevely and i think he was in one of kreke's cars....i think it was when he first started trucks.

I know he drove Larry Hull's #41 car at pevely....i think it was the year before he got his truck ride....

I believe at the last Nascar night of the stars at I55 he drove Jim Sherecks mod.

John Barr
The Trashdog

Dixon Fan said:
Does anyone have any photos of his dirt car when he raced in the area before going big? Reason I want to know is maybe I saw him race and didn't even know who he was. I'm a Rusty Wallace Fan and always will be, but after this year when he retires I need a new driver to follow. So I decided to stay local and go with Carl Edwards. He is the most down to earth and coolest guy out there. Good Luck Carl!!!

I'm with you, i am a Big Martin fan though, and after this year i am going with Carl Edwards.

Carl raced alot at the old Capital Speedway. If you go to the new Lake Ozark Speedway's web site, they have a forum board there you can ask around. Alot of the old Capital crew and fans have gone down there. Maybe the photographer did too. Or someone has an old pick of him. Also check with Dan Mahooney. He took pics for I-44. Carl raced there the last year is was paved and ran a Modified and a Baby Grand.

Did he drive a red #6 late in the 1999 season? We had a a Carl Edwards from Columbia MO race at an October show in Donnellson IA, but I wanted to make sure that it was him.

Yes, Carl drove our Rayburn at I55 in 2003. Unfortuneately he was involved in a crash and didnt have a good night. We kept the sheet metal that was autographed by Carl. He also signed a picture of the late modle that we keep in the shop. He couldnt have be more friendly and polite.

What a gentleman.

Carl is a very friendly and nice person. He did drive Dean Hoffman's Modified at Belle Clair Speedway a few years ago while he was driving trucks.
I, too, have one of his business cards.

he also drove for sonny kimberling at the lake ozark speedway last year started at back of b and won started at the back of the a and won, he was a rockett, dont think he ever really lifted.

he also drove some for reed mallard, in his late model

he was mostly a mod guy with alot of suscess at capitol speedway

He won the points at Capital in the late 90's early 00's, can't remember, the car he dominated with is the one that dancin Lance has or had.

Carl Hooked-up with West Plains BabyGrand owner Dwight Laxton in the middle of the 2001 season and they hit instant success.In 2002 Carl was a dominant force with the Asphalt BabyGrand Series and this attracted the attention of the Mitler Bros,who gave Carl a ride in there truck first at IRP-he qualified the truck in the top 10 and was running in top 5 when issues with the pit stop hurt his finish. From there Carl was putting the truck well in Qualifying along with capturing the BabyGrand National Championship-Roush Racing saw the talent he had and the Mitlers helped to deal the Real Deal.
Carl was a 2 time Dirt Mod Champ at the Capital Speedway,but it was at I-44 where he captured the crowd with his backflips,springboard hand stands after winning.

Yea, all the luck to Carl. I got to know Carl at Springfield during the Fall Nationals. We pitted beside each other, got to talkin and so on. He had a ad in Speed Sport News at the time wanting to drive, and he gave me one of his cards. Of course at the time I thought he was a real nice guy but a little crazy. I told him I was a Firefighter so the next year when he ran Mike Mittler's car at Gateway I went and worked Fire Rescue for Him and His crew and got to hang with them. If I had only known!!

Back in the earlier days, Carl drove anybody's car who would let him. He was a regular begger for a ride. They were talking about it during the race last Sunday. He really did have those business cards! He didn't care what it was. I think he would have drove a Hornet if someone would have let him. He asked everyone in the pits if he could run their cars. From about 1998 to 2002 he was either at Capital, Callaway or Moberly every weekend (as was I). He ran a mod for Ron Dye at Capital a bit if I remember right. He won what was probably the best A-mod race ever run at Moberly Speedway back then. There were three cars in the lead pack. They exchanged the top three positions for the first 20 laps of like a 25 lap feature. He laid back in the back of the second pack of about five cars until the last few laps and started making those madman moves. He just came on out of nowhere pulled one of those three-wide in the turn moves for a win. CRAZY! I've seen him do some pretty bone-headed stuff on the dirt. Took out a lot of cars in the process. Made a lot of guys madder that hell. Seen him do some pretty smooth stuff too. More often than not, if the car wasn't good, he wasn't good.

I spent a few minutes talking to him during a special night Capital had for him the last season they were open. He had just got his full-time Craftsman truck ride. I was waiting in line at the pill draw right behind him and he was worried about the pill draw because he didn't want to draw the low number and put himself on the poll as he thought the other guys would think it was set up for him. HE DREW A ONE! He was shocked! He said "You're my witness! I drew that fair and square!" Capital had the bingo type balls in the cages. He cranked it over about five times and rolled it back to get his number like everybody else. He had a publicist or reporter and a photographer with him and they were writing down everything that was said and taking pictures of every move he made. He walked in with me and a buddy of mine and talked a bit about how everything was happening so fast. He really didn't know what to think about it all at that time. When we got inside to our trailer he set and talked to us for a few more minutes signed a few autographs for some kids and went on his way like any other regular racer does on a Saturday night.

Yes, Lance Kobush did have one of Carl's old cars. I think he and Lance are pretty tight. I wish him lots of luck.

Back