Carl Edwards wins Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 at Gateway International Raceway

stlmrn

Staff member
Click here to view race photos:
http://www.stlracing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=896

We have all seen the Walt Disney commercial at the conclusion of a great sports event. The star is asked the question; you have just won the Superbowl what you going to do next? And the sports hero answers, “I am going to Walt Disney World.”

Well when Carl Edwards wins at Gateway International, his response?

“I am going to the Lake of the Ozarks,” said a jubilant Edwards, a Columbia, Missouri native.

For Edwards, this was his second win at Gateway (2006). He now has nine top-five finishes this season. It is his 15th win in 127 career NASCAR Nationwide Series races.

Joey Logan finished second and Jason Keller finished third. For Keller, it is his seventh top five and eigth top 10 finish at Gateway.

This year’s edition of the Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 at Gateway International Raceway featured five “hometown” racers. And the hometown racers made a statement early in the race. Jamie McMurrary, Joplin Missouri native, was the polesitter and took the early lead for the first 22 laps of the race. He was followed closely in second place by Carl Edwards of Columbia Missouri. Unfortunately for McMurray, he had engine problems late in the race and finished back in the pack.

Brothers Mike and Kenny Wallace battled in the middle of the pack. Mike Wallace finished the race in 11th. Their nephew Steve, was in the top portion of the race before he got caught up in a mid race accident that was not his fault.

“I don’t know what happen,” said a dejected Steve Wallace. “You hate to see this happen and wreck up these cars. It is hard getting sponsors and wrecking cars does not help.”

Steve Wallace finished 26th.

The same wreck took out last year’s winner Reed Sorenson.

“We were in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Sorenson.

Jame McMurray won the pole for the Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 at Gateway International Raceway, turning a lap of 133.101 mph/33809 seconds. This was McMurray’s second pole in 165 NASCAR Nationwide series races. His previous best starte at Gateway was ninth in 2002.

“It has been a long time since I raced at Gateway and I’m really looking forward to coming back," said McMurray prior to the race. "It will be great to come back to such a challenging track and hopefully, I can put the No. 17 CitiFinancial Fusion in victory lane in front of the a hometown crowd."

Reed Sorenson qualified second and starting in the front row next to McMurray. Soreson won each of his two Gateway races form the second starting position.

Carl Edwards grabbed the third spot notching his 15th top-10 start of the season.
The last four Gateway races have been won from a top-two starting position. Only one of the 11 races has been won from the pole (Martin Truex Jr. in 2004).

Back