Casebolt Looks to Defend Crenos 50 Title July 3rd

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CORONA, CA (June 26, 2008) - After Twenty-One events, Steve Casebolt leads the 2008 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship Points. The '07 $100,000 Eldora Dirt Late Model Dream Winner graduated from Ball State University in Muncie, IN which boasts of famous alums such as late-night talk show host David Letterman and Garfield creator, Jim Davis. Richmond, IN's Steve Casebolt has one goal in mind as he will attempt to successfully defend his win in the Creno's 50 on Thursday Night, July 3rd at Muskingum County Speedway in Zanesville, OH.

Casebolt is taking it one race at a time as he tries to knock off 3-time and reigning LOLMDS National Champion Earl Pearson Jr of Jacksonville, FL who rests just ten points behind Casebolt. The race at Muskingum County will kick off a busy month of July for the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series with Casebolt's main goal to keep his name in the headlines and in the top spot of the point's standings as he tries to capture his first championship.

"The best thing to do is stay focused on the task at hand, if problems arise, it is easy to lose your concentration on what the true goal is," Casebolt said as he prepares for not only a trip across I-70 to Zanesville from his home but to Tazewell, TN on his 30th birthday and a Saturday Night, July 5th visit to Bulls Gap, TN for a pair of LOLMDS shows. "Muskingum is always a good track to race on, but rarely is it the same twice; you have to be on top of your game to win there." Casebolt won at Muskingum County last year despite a severely smoking race car and it looked like the victory would turn Casebolt into a top contender for the championship a year ago.

In fact, Casebolt held the points lead for most of June and thru early July last year, until he fell to third in Mid-July a spot he stayed in until the end as Pearson and Scott James of Lawrenceburg, IN both passed him to finish in the top two spots over the last half of the 2007 points chase. In 2008, he is back in his own equipment which gives him some well deserved pride in his accomplishments. "Being back in my own car has been just what I needed, its gotten me excited about racing again," Casebolt said after spending one year in veteran car owner Dale Beitler's equipment. "I call the shots and now when I wake up in the morning I can't wait to get to the shop to try and prepare my team."

The entire top five of the LOLMDS is getting tighter and tighter with Zanesville, OH native Bart Hartman in third place after the latest points event at Cherokee with Justin Rattliff of Campbellsville, KY and Dan Schlieper of Sullivan, WI who has won two of the last three series events coming on strong in fifth.

The rest of the top ten currently are Scott James, Billy Drake of Bloomington, IL, Terry Casey of New London, WI, Freddy Smith of Seymour, TN and Wayne Chinn of Bradford, OH.

The Quarter Master Rookie of the Year points has Casey leading Chinn by 445 points.

The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series is in the midst of its $2.9 million season and to date there have been 15 different feature winners in 21 races and 451 have raced with the series at least once in 2008.

The week of the Fourth of July week will feature the LOLMDS at Ronnie Moran's Muskingum County Speedway in Zanesville, OH for the $10,000 to win "Creno's 50" on Thursday Night, July 3rd. The series will then head south to the Volunteer State of Tennessee for the "Toyota of Knoxville 75" $10,000 to win LOLMDS event at Tazewell Speedway in Tazewell, TN on Friday Night, July 4th and then to top off the holiday weekend with a visit to Joe Loven's Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN for another $10,000 to win race an event that will be contested on Saturday Night, July 5th.

For more information on these race tracks, log onto www.mcspeedway.20m.com, www.tazewellspeedway.net and www.volunteerspeedway.com.
The tire rule will be the same for all three events: Hoosier 1300, LM20, 1350, 1600 and LM40 and American Racer SD44, SD48 and MD56.

For the latest information on the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series you can visit www.lucasdirt.com or call the series office at (951) 532-2503.

Current Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship Points Standings
1) Steve Casebolt (Richmond, IN) 3145
2) Earl Pearson Jr. (Jacksonville, FL) 3135
3) Bart Hartman (Zanesville, OH) 2905
4) Justin Rattliff (Campbellsville, KY) 2870
5) Dan Schlieper (Sullivan, WI) 2805
6) Scott James (Lawrenceburg, IN) 2720
7) Billy Drake (Bloomington, IL) 2690
8) Terry Casey (New London, WI) 2520
9) Freddy Smith (Seymour, TN) 2295
10)Wayne Chinn (Bradford, OH) 2075

Quarter Master Rookie of the Year Points Standings