Chad Knaus gets caught . . . . Again!!!!

DieHardDirtFan

What? What title?
Chad Knaus ejected from Daytona for cheating again!!!!! Boy, I really hope they start sticking it to him this year and stop letting him off on appeal. Apparently he can't appeal this ejection because NASCAR considers the event at Daytona already in progress therefore there is no appeal process. This seems like a pretty bonehead move on his part. If he's not careful he is going to start damaging his reputation as a crew chief. I was especially impressed with the stupid move he made at Homestead. Probably cost his driver 2nd place in points. This move is probably going to cost this team plenty as well. Dumbass.

See story at NASCAR.COM

I agree......How many times can a guy get caught cheating without ruining his reputation? In addition, how many times can a "team" (Hendricks) get caught cheating?

Obviously the previous punishments were not severe enough so maybe they should start suspending them for half a season or a whole season for repeat offenders.

It is time to start cracking down on these guys. They can penalize edwards severely for avoiding a crash but Knaus can cheat and slip by on appeals.

I think Lowe's may be a deciding factor in this one. Multiple instances of flagrant cheating makes them look bad too and they don't want that. It's not good for their image.

If I remember correctly there was a guy named Nelson that cheated a lot in NASCAR back in the day, he helped DW win a few. That same guy went on to be the chief inspector for NASCAR I believe. As a metter of fact I think he is still in NASCAR with an even more important job. Maybe Knaus is looking to help further his carrer? LOL

In my opinion they should start taking wins away too!! Like last year at Vegas. The car didn't pass post-race inspection. The car is not legal therefore, no win. That simple. Disqualified - race scored accordingly. But, instead, Chad got a suspension which was overturned on appeal. I think the message would have been a whole lot clearer had they taken the win away!!! That would get someone's attention and would definitely draw some sponsor participation.

(2/13/2006, 5:48 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

(AP) — Crew chief Chad Knaus calls himself an innovator in the racing world. NASCAR hasn't exactly seen it the same way. Here is a Knaus timeline that includes penalties imposed by NASCAR:

• March, 21, 2001: Suspended two races and fined $5,000 for using unapproved shoulder harnesses in a car driver by Stacy Compton.
• Oct. 22, 2001: Fined $750 for using unapproved windshield clips on Compton's car.
• Dec. 10, 2001: Hired by Hendrick Motorsports as crew chief for Jimmie Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet.
• July 11, 2002: Fined $25,000 for having improperly installed mounting bolts. The team also was docked 25 championship points and 25 owner points.
• July 23, 2002: Fined $5,000 for cursing during a live television interview, NASCAR's first sanction for profanity.
• May 21, 2003: Fined $1,000 for using an unapproved air-directional device during NASCAR's All-Star race.
• May 26, 2003: Signed five-year contract extension with Hendrick Motorsports.
• May 27, 2003: Fined $2,500 for using an unapproved refrigerant.
• March 15, 2005: Suspended two races and fined $35,000 because Johnson's race-winning car failed to meet the minimum height requirement during post-race inspection at Las Vegas. The team also was docked 25 championship points, which knocked Johnson out of the points lead.
• March 16, 2005: Appealed suspension.
• March 23, 2005: National Stock Car Racing Commission overturned the suspension and placed Knaus on 90 days of probation, but upheld the fine and the points penalty.
• Sept. 30, 2005: NASCAR changes a rule regarding shock absorbers after Knaus exploited a loophole that caused Johnson's car to fail post-race inspection at Dover International Speedway.
• Feb. 12, 2006: Johnson's qualifying time for the Daytona 500 was disqualified after the car failed a post-qualifying inspection.
• Feb. 13, 2006: Suspended from the Daytona 500 for raising the rear window on Johnson's car to alter the aerodynamics during the team's qualifying run.

ALL these crew cheifs try to bend and yes occasionaly bend the rules a little that what theyre paid to do,win races and figureout an angle that someone hasnt thought of yet. we saw earlier in this post a time line for chad knuas. lets look up all the other crew chief infractions, such as earnhardt sr and jr.ricky rudd or just anyone, YES your driver too. they have all been caught or will in the near futre so really this is a no subject kinda deal,if you ask me.

Knass

I'm kind of wondering because all the teams push the limit how much they buget each year to pay fines and penalties. You know they get finded but the them pays the fines. As far a Knass maybe he is looking for Gary Nelsons job he was the best a bending the rules that's why Nascar put him to work so he wouldn't break them any more.

With out a little artful cheatin this sport would still be doing 130mph. How do you think all these guys got to go fast?:confused:

All they were doing was trying to find that wee little bit of extra speed. They had a device on the sleeve/collar of the track bar adjustment that would move the back window area (glass) up or down whenever they made an adjustment. And in this case it was up, so that it would take the air off of the back spoiler. That's why it didn't fit the template that Nascar uses. It's like these guys above said, they ALL do it...have been since the beginning....these guys just got busted at it. Nascar wouldn't be what it is today if someone didn't push the envelope to the limits.:)

Things have been overlooked on Felony Racing team cars for so long, the crew chiefs feel they have a license to cheat...but only one does, and his name is Letarte...

BTW-why wasn't the car confiscated like Stewart's was at TMS a couple years ago?

Dirtslinger said:
BTW-why wasn't the car confiscated like Stewart's was at TMS a couple years ago?

They are actually talking about doing that exact thing. I've been trying to keep up with the story on the Speed Channel. My guess is that this is far from over. I bet the fines and penalties will come later on in the week.

Dirtslinger thats called backing or boy's no matter what.Loyalty is big on Mr Hendrick is that kind of Boss.which we all need more of these day's.

Back