Chassis and Shock Design

maruefer

In reviewing the rules and regulations for dirt late model racing, why doesn't anyone use automatic correcting shocks? Technology is here and the only UMP or XDCS rule is that no shock adjusting control can be done from inside the driver’s cockpit.
Also, the current chassis’s are using the frame to axle shock and spring design, in some non racing chassis’s, (transportation and structural support) a chassis enhancement to provide opposing thrust on a non-continuous force (hence racing chassis's fall into this category), counterforce hydraulics (water or oil as the medium) or memory springs on the hard structural supports are used.
I cannot find any terms in rulebooks on these, maybe there is. Let me know.

Theres a rule in racing,and most racers have a sign in their shops just to remind them that says...
(KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID !)

In all honesty the setup you are referring to would be a cantilever system, they where tryed a few years ago but from what I've seen everybodys gone back to the standard setups..

A good rolling chassis goes for about $15,000.00 new assembled, thats no engine or tranny. Shocks go from $130.00 up, springs $65.00 up. Why do you think that is not enough? Do you really think there is much to gain from that type of system? Late models have changed alot in the last 15 years, look at the track records at various tracks that the layout of the track is unchanged and see how much the record has dropped. Hworrell said it correctly "The KISS theory of racing" the cars are already way to damn complicated.

Back