Chris Wimmer Avoids the Melee at Gateway, Finishes 24th

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Brandon Mudd

MADISON, IL – On a night that saw arguably the wildest finish in the history of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, Chris Wimmer, driving the #63 Dave Porter Truck Sales Ford, was able to stay out of the wrecks leading to four consecutive green-white-checkered finishes to come home 24th.

“What a night,” said Wimmer. “I’ve never seen anything like that. I don’t know what those guys were thinking driving like that. Thankfully, we were able to stay out of that mess and bring the truck home in one piece. We were pretty tight, especially towards the end of the race, but it would get loose at times, too. It was hard to handle, but we were able to put together a decent finish.”

The wild finish also surprised MB Motorsports owner/crew chief and St. Louis native, Mike Mittler. “I’ve been in racing over 30 years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that,” he said. “It just shows it’s harder than ever to win one of these things and the drivers will pull out all the stops to get the win. We’re just glad no one was hurt and that Chris was able to get through the night with himself and the truck in one piece.

“Obviously, we were hoping for a better finish,” Mittler continued, “but considering how difficult this track is to race, the fact the track was very green due to rain the night before the race and that morning, and the fact we had to start dead last due to a motor change (the primary engine blew up during Friday’s practice), we’ll take what we can get. Chris did a heckuva job once again and we’re proud of him.”

The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series has this weekend off and will return to action July 31st at Michigan, a race Wimmer will not be racing in unless sponsorship is procured. “We’ve been racing the last five weeks straight and it’s going to be hard to have to miss a race, now that we’re finally starting to get into the groove of things,” Wimmer said. “I think our team has a lot to offer a sponsor and hopefully, we’ll see something materialize soon.” Organizations interested in a potential marketing partnership with MB Motorsports should contact Bill Politsch at 1-800-467-2464 or Brandon Mudd at 636-219-9676. For more information on Wimmer and MB Motorsports, visit them on the web at www.mbracing.net.

Back