Clutch Problem?

Here is the deal with the clutch. On the first hit pedal is very soft. Hit it again right after that and pedal has good pressure and holds pressure. Bled clutch many times and there is no air in lines. Any ideas on how to get the cluthc to firm on first pump? Transmission is a BERT and has been rebuilt on the offseason. Has two nights on it. Brand new master cylinder for the clutch with one race on it. Please help me out. In a deperate situation i don't have time to pump the clutch to avoid stalling the car and getting run over.

Is your new master cyl. 3/4" bore? You need the volumne. Are You are using regular brake fluid not silicone fluid? Silicone fluids are mushy they compress more under pressure.

I'm not familar with the Bert setup,but sounds to me like ya got too much clearence between the preasure plate & release bearing.......

there is no pressure plate or release bearing with a bert........it is all internal on a bert tranny.......

Did you bleed the master cylinder really good before you put it in? That may cause it.

regular brake fluid is used. master cylinder was bled good before put in. Master cylinder is 3/4 in bore. Problem started last race of last season and continued since then. Everything has been replaced, rebuilt, or bled. I'm gonna go try nad bleed the master cylinder again hopefully that works. Thanks for the help. Anymore ideas keep em coming.

I had the same problem years ago, and it took a vacuum bleed to get rid of it. Conventional bleeding just would not get rid of all the air.

we had a problem like that. screw the line..off the trans..fill that...first...then...take the cap opff the master...fill with fluid..let it gravity bleed out...screw the line in..dont pump it..and you should be good. hope thi helps

clutch...

Chad,

Replacing the idiotic type of bleeder was the key for us. I could never tell when it was open enough to bleed or not, if it was like mine was originally with a fitting in the transmission and a "nut" type of plug in the end....replaced it with a speed type bleeder for the brake calipers....no more problems. There are sometimes after changing fluid that it will take a slight pump to get the pedal to feel right again, but not like you are stating unless there is too much play in the clutch pack that is internal to the transmission, this is especially the case when the clutches and metal disks wear out. Typically when doing hard swerves while in low, or having to use a lot of clutch pressure to keep the car moving. Like when you have a flat tire, or stuck in the mud...(LOL)

STICK

What did you do to fix it? I'm having the same problem. My bert was brand new last season and has done the same thing since I put it in the car.

Back