confederate flag controversy on KFNS

skippy05

Twitter.com/Brandon_Mudd
Bryan Burwell will give his opinion as to why the Confederate Flag should be banned in NASCAR Wed. night at 6 on "SpeedZone" on 590 the Fan. Also on the show will be Kurt Busch and Tony Kanaan. The show can also be heard live via free streaming on kfns.com. Callers are more than welcome to talk with Bryan and give their thoughts on the Stars and Bars issue.

KFNS, Why do you not talk to local racers? More to racing than just NAPCAR......

Anyone who has suggestions for the show, please e-mail rweingarten@kfns.com. We would love to hear from you and will be taking all suggestions into account when we start looking at our coverage for next season. Local racing will take a larger role next season on this show.

wilbur said:
KFNS, Why do you not talk to local racers? More to racing than just NAPCAR......

the stars and bars is not a racial thing!!!it's a heritage!!!people are just looking for something else to complain about!!!

Will do

skippy05 said:
Anyone who has suggestions for the show, please e-mail rweingarten@kfns.com. We would love to hear from you and will be taking all suggestions into account when we start looking at our coverage for next season. Local racing will take a larger role next season on this show.
And thanks for being open minded.

It's a heritage thing?

Jesus almighty, that's like saying the swastika is a cross doing cartwheels.

The confederate flag was born of a battle over slavery, with the confederates (south) wanting to keep it. It is the essential symbol of racism in the USA.

Actually, the confederate flag was born out of the confederate state's desire to self rule, having more say in their internal state affairs and pushing the federal government into the back seat.

The Civil War was fought over state's rights to self govern, not slavery. Another case of history being rewritten to serve the interests of a few.

t.nie is correct...

All the recent controversy concerns how much money special interest groups can siphon from a successful organization.

t.nie said:
Actually, the confederate flag was born out of the confederate state's desire to self rule, having more say in their internal state affairs and pushing the federal government into the back seat.

The Civil War was fought over state's rights to self govern, not slavery. Another case of history being rewritten to serve the interests of a few.

Most Southerners didn't even own slaves.

t.nie said:

t.nie is right. Very few people seem to know what the civil war was really all about. Slavery was only one of many issues. The way things are going in this country I could see it happening again some day. We seem to be a divided country of "haves" and "have nots". One more thing about slavery. Who do you think sold those slaves to the white man over in Africa? Black men.

nascar did in fact ban a car sponsord by "the sons of confederate veterans" in the early 90s,it looked like a big rolling confederate flag,so any one that may sugest that nascar is a racest orginasation should think again,,now as far as banning the confederate flag from being displayed by race fans at nascar races,well that could be a matter of personal freedoms and or freedom of speach,,the reason i know about the car is that i found a die-cast 1/64 model of the car,i will try to post a picture later...

I'll stick this up on this thread. I posted it on a Jimmy Spencer thread on NAMRF's in response to a person there claiming Spencer's oriental jokes were largely overlooked and went unchallenged, thereby demonstrating that racism and bigotry were widely accepted in NASCAR.

Spencer was fired, in part due to his comments. And he did issue an apology afterward, when he was raked over the coals by just about everyone who heard it.

There you go again, trying to justify your argument with clear cut flagrant violations that were dealt with appropriately. Its like, no matter what happens, how many apologies are offered, penalties imposed, etc, you will say "not good enough." So, what should have happened to Spencer? Should he have been drug out into the infield at Atlanta, publicly humiliated, stripped naked, and then tarred and feathered? Would that have satisfied your pathetic need for retaliation?

Or maybe he should have done what most NFL players get to do for their umpteenth drug violation: Community Service. He could have been sentenced to going around to schools, telling little kiddies not to tell tasteless jokes. But, of course, what Spencer did was not a crime, like Rae Lewis hiring someone to kill his girlfriend, or Lawrence Taylor making drug deals. All he did was make a remark that actually made him look pretty stupid, and got him in trouble. But since he is a white NASCAR boy, an apology, and firing him isn't good enough. Let's lynch him.

It's just like this silly NAMRF bull**** site. NASCAR addresses the concerns, and can point to initiatives taken with high profile people to actually make a change, and along come the NAMRF acting like they are the first people to ever see a problem. Thats garbage, by the time the NAMRF figured out their *** from their elbow, NASCAR had already devised an initiative to help more minorities get into the sport. The truth is NASCAR was on this long before the NAMRF idiots could even manage to get a site up.

White people of yore owned slaves. That was wrong. Slavery was abolished, and society changed.

White people discriminated against blacks in the job market, in the eduation system, and in public places. That was wrong. Steps were taken to rectify the situation; affirmative action, hiring quotas, additional funding for black neighborhood schools, busing, to name just a few of the measures taken to address the situation.

Now it is a totally different society we live in. Now it is the middle class white male who is at the disadvantage, who has to be better than the black man to get the job, who has to face being the best candidate for the position and not being hired because of diversity initiatives. Hey, it ****s to be white these days, but you don't hear a whole lot of complaining about it, simply because we are used to having to work for anything we get; we don't rely on government to provide an 'opportunity window' for us.

Life isn't fair, and we are used to that. For some reason, there is this giant misconception among the young black population that the playing field is supposed to be level, and fair to all. Guess again. It NEVER HAS BEEN. At my all -white high school, there were the rich kids, whose parents bought them new cars, the best clothes, the latest expensive toys, motorcycles, snowmobiles, took them to Disneyworld, skiing in the winter, Christmas in Aspen, all that happy crap. And then there were the majority of us, who wore what our parents could afford, or the hand me downs from our older siblings and cousins. We rode second hand bikes, fixed them ourselves, went swimming in lakes because we couldn't afford the pool, played baseball with worn out gloves and balls taped up with electrical tape to keep the cover from falling off.

Does this sound like I was privileged to you? Does this sound like I was given equal opportunity to live the high life like the rich white kids? Does this sound like your life? Now, I guess if I were some whiny assed punk looking for a handout, I would go off complaining about how THE RICH MAN was oppressing me, how THEM RICH FOLK always keep me down, how the RICH MAN owed me a break cause all he did was take take take from me and my family with his extortionate prices for food, clothing and gas.

But I wasn't raised in an atmosphere of prejudice and hate toward people who had more. I was raised to believe that not everyone would get the breaks that the privileged few did, and the cold fact was that in order for me to get respect and a decent living, I was going to have to work for it. Plain and simple.

I suggest you get off your personal pity party, wah wah, somebody else has more than I do, somebody else gets better treatment than I do, somebody else owes me an apology and equal treatment, life isn't fair kick, cause the bottom line is that life isn't fair to any of us. Regardless of the color of our skin, we can all find someone who gets treated better than we do, and situations where we are discriminated against. That's life for every one of us. We are all truly equal when it comes to getting the shaft.

call-ins

As I said previously, all of you are invited to call in and give your opinions to Bryan Burwell tonight on this issue.

As Moonflow said, the flag is a heritage thing. if you have ever lived in the south you would know. And as others say every weekend and on here. Let Her Fly. I am for one, very proud of my Southern Heritage, born and raised Southern, just got imported when I was in High School to IL. I love where i live now, but will never forget where I was from. Some only want to believe the civil war was all about slavery, yet they dont remember all the indentured irish workers in the north. Its all about each state's right to govern theirselfs without federal interference. Humm come to think about it, arent we still yelling this?

Ya budy

I'm with you ECK1 I think they should forget about what some think and let the glorious rebel colors fly

a country boy can survive!

Why Is It "minorities" Can Do And Say Certain Things And It's Ok? Like Showing Pride In Their Culture And Heritage.... Ect? But, For Us Non-minorites Its Not Ok. I Can't Help The Fact I Was Born A White Man. I Should Be Able To Be Pround Of My Race/heritage/roots Ect.... Just The Same And Display Or Voice It Just The Same As They Do!

Back