Cornell wins 305 Winged Sprints; Looney, Cutshaw and Hendrix continue streak at I-44

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Dusty Luthy
LEBANON - In their first appearance to the Lebanon I-44 Speedway, the winged 305 Sprint cars found several lanes to race in. Jonathan Cornell of Sedalia showed just what fast really means by winning his seventh straight victory.

Cornell started sixth but quickly worked his way to the front.

"Starting from the third row back, you kind of got to work for your win," Cornell said.

Eric Todd started on the pole of the 18-car Sprint feature, followed by Mike Williams, Jack Potter, Ken Potter and Michael Brown.

Cornell got his jump and immediately went to the high groove of the track on turn one to try and get around Todd. By turn two, he dashed his car down low to pass Todd on the inside and kept driving.

Meanwhile, Ken Potter also pushes to go side by side with Todd, taking second and setting his sights on Cornell. On the fifth lap, Potter was able to close the gap coming out of turn four for a tight side by side battle on the front straightaway. Cornell was able to keep him at bay.

"I started running the bottom and got around a few cars then I saw the 55 car, (Ken) Potter, sneak underneath me coming out of turn two so I figured I ought to try something different," Cornell said.

He then took his car to the high side of the track and found the bite he was looking for.

By the 15th lap, Cornell was lapping the 10th place car.

"Starting to get into lap traffic kind of made me pretty nervous," Cornell said, "You never know which way they are going to dart in front of you, which lines they're going to run."

A 16th-lap caution allowed Jack Potter to come up and put a little pressure on Ken Potter. On the restart, Jack Potter tried to go high around Ken Potter, but was held off. With a lap left, he darted inside to put pressure on Ken Potter, but just wasn't able to push to the front.

Ken Potter was then disqualified from his second-place finish due to tech issues.

Brad Looney won his sixth speedway victory and 15th overall season victory in his Late Model ride. Looney battled motor problems to come out on top.

"Last night, we blew up the motor, so we worked all night last night and changed motors and worked all day," Looney said. "That's how you get motivated for today. But you know what, when we blew up the motor last night, we still won.

"That's how we get motivated to come here after working all day," he said. "To get some satisfaction by winning."

Dusty Johnson started the feature on the pole with Looney on his outside. Jason Meadors, Brandon McCormick and Chris Smyser rounded out the top five starters.

Looney was able to get the jump on Johnson and held the lead flag to flag. On the first lap, Meadors, McCormick and Smyser went three-wide on the back stretch, with Smyser coming out in front.

Smyser then took his car to the high side as he put some distance on the other cars, waiting for the cushion to dial in. On lap seven, he was able to pass Johnson for second. Johnson continued the race on the bottom, keeping his car as tight as he could.

Johnson was able to catch Smyser, battling it out for several laps at the end before Johnson took back second. Smyser kept third followed by McCormick and Meadors.

The Modified race saw a stacked first two rows with Terry Beckham Jr. on the pole with Jeff Cutshaw on his outside. Steve Martin, Justin Neuman and Corey Simpson finished the top five starters.

Cutshaw was able to get around Beckham for the lead and his fourth speedway Modified victory.

Beckham quickly went to the inside and worked the groove there, holding off his competitors for several laps until Cutshaw took his car a little higher and passed him in turn two.

"That's the first time I've passed Terry on the top," Cutshaw said during his post-race interview on the track. "It's usually the other way around. I thought I would wait and pass him on the inside but he didn't go up, so I had to go around him on the high side."

Beckham eventually faded to a fourth placed finish. Justin Neuman won second and Steve Martin took third.

David Hendrix won his fifth straight Factory Stock victory. The points leader said very little had changed in his car from week to week.

"The track gets a little slicker every week," Hendrix said, "and I'm trying to keep it hooked up and trying to be smooth and stay on the bottom."

After the Bomber feature, a fan compared Tyler Brown to NASCAR driver Tony Stewart's famous fence-climbing antics. Only it wasn't Brown climbing the fence - it was his car.

Brown got tangled with several cars only a few laps into the feature and launched his car in the air down the fence on the front stretch, breaking a support pole completely in half.

"Coming around turns three and four I was going to shoot through the middle because I saw Jason Huey coming up on me," Brown said, "and I didn't want to get behind him. He's too fast."

Brown said he might have sprained his wrist, but was otherwise fine. Jason Huey took the Bomber victory.

Jeff Scroggins took his second Super Stock victory of the season and Shawn Strong won his third Rookie trophy.

Up next: The Lebanon I-44 Speedway will once again host its annual giant fireworks display. A lengthy fireworks display will be set off at intermission by Premier Pyrotechnics of Richland. Late Models, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Bombers and Rookies will all be racing. Although not on the schedule, Factory Stocks will compete in a non-points race.

RESULTS

305 Winged Sprints

Heat 1

1. 6 Jack Potter
2. 55 Ken Potter
3. 10 Clint Todd
4. 51 Matt Walden
5. 49 John Rowland
6. 99r Rusty Quick
7. 4m Mike Shady

Heat 2

1. 82 Michael Brown