Costs of running a dirt LM vs Asphalt LM

F5 Racer

Looking for a ride!
I'm just curious if anybody knows what the costs of running a dirt LM team is compared to running an asphalt LM like at i44. Tires, maintenance, parts, repairs, payouts, etc...Thanks for your input.

we have done both and are still racing the asphalt car this year it looks like gas to get there is going to be the biggest thing be glad to talk my name is Larry 317-460-5207.

I 44 used to have and police a one tire a week rule which was great and helped to save a lot of money. That was 10-12 years ago and I'm not sure if they are still doing that. You could buy 6 new ones at the beginning of the season and then one new one a week.

They are on a 4412 carburetor, iron headed engine combination for the most part and it's pretty economical to run.

Thanks for your guys input. Any more incite would be great. Just keeping options open for next season.

i was involved with asphalt in virginia and n.c. in the mid 90s, the motor cost was alot cheaper on asphalt the suspension cost was the same ,but the technical side was way more involved then u had to be on dirt but asphalt was all about tires just like dirt it was a full time job but alot more forgiving to drive on dirt.

Looked at rules and I-44 does have the one tire a week rule. Also a lot easier on chassis life if you don't wreck it. If the track was closer than 110mi from my shop, and the fact i have 9 dirt chassis I'd consider it. I loved running my ump late model there weekly on dirt in 2006-2008 we really miss it just not sure I would like it as much.

I'm going to go check it out this summer. I want to make I would like it before I made the jump. The only thing I see that I don't like is when you wreck it seems like you do a lot more damage. How are the payouts for the touring series compared to dirt series?

Another cool track was Speedway USA at Bolivar MO but I don't know if they are running there right now. It was quite similar to I-44 except it has less banking. We ran there too a few times and it was always fun. I wish I-70 was still running and it's a real shame that it's not. Hopefully it too will make a comeback.

Ya I just wish there was more tracks closer. It ****s that bolivar and I70 shut down. Does anybody have any incite on my questions in my previous post?

my dad asphalt raced for alot of years to do it competitively and on the same level as th ump tracks and racers in this area... get out your check book. it may be cheaper to just go run 1-44 but if you plan on going to rockford , the dells or any other good facilities then the cost is just as much if not more

we will be going to Nashville TN 5 times this year if you would like to come along and see let us know. also going to I-44, Salem IN. ORP in Indy and KMS in KY

Back